Mac App Store

Luminary
Who all here has software (and what!) in the store?
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Can't buy our own app because it says it's already installed... They put the categories of games way down in the lower right corner of the games page where you have to scroll quite a ways to get to it. So I suspect that people will not do much browsing beyond the feature and top lists. So... I forsee pretty much the same issues with iOS but on a much smaller scale.

Crayon Ball is up on there. Upshot was rejected and we haven't exactly been excited to spend more time on rewriting the parts they wanted.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
I'm personally slightly disappointed in the selection. I feel they should have given developers more of a warning/time, especially when people get rejections, time to rewrite. Though, I cant quite remember, how many apps were on the iOS App Store on launch?
Alex
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microbian...1628?mt=12 for me

and the store (and website) is currently horrific to browse. It's great for seeing top stuff, Terrible for seeing anything else...

unless you're interested in http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/unmarried...5288?mt=12
Sage
At least the old downloads page let you have a one liner to give you a dozen words describe your game. No you are reduced to an icon and a name like on iOS. :-\ If a your name or icon isn't interesting enough, you are sunk.

(Jan 6, 2011 02:33 PM)skyhawk Wrote:  and the store (and website) is currently horrific to browse. It's great for seeing top stuff, Terrible for seeing anything else...

Rolleyes hmph, didn't see that one coming...

Well, at any rate, congratulations on getting Microbian out there! Smile
Sage
The thing I don't understand is how the native App Store app (and iTunes for that matter) is so much slower than a web browser. The performance is just painful and you don't even get tabs so you can read something else while it loads. As Skyhawk said, they pretty much made browsing painfully difficult to make room at the top of the page for all their feature lists. They crammed the subcategory lists way down in the farthest corner where you have to scroll to get to it.

Crayon Ball got a very nice review (presumably from a reviewer because it's dated Dec 17th), but no feature. Given all the factors listed earlier, I'm kind of expecting sales to be worse than pre-MAS once the newness of the store wears off.

The price race to the bottom seems to already have started with relatively few games priced more than $5.

(Jan 6, 2011 02:33 PM)skyhawk Wrote:  It's great for seeing top stuff, Terrible for seeing anything else...

I figured that was by design. The iOS App Store moved that direction deliberately.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
(Jan 6, 2011 03:41 PM)Skorche Wrote:  The price race to the bottom seems to already have started with relatively few games priced more than $5.

Rolleyes hmph, didn't see that one coming...

Hey, I ain't complaining, I have Chopper 2 downloading right now for the grand price of $.99, woohoo! Go Dave LOL .. it just finished installing, so I gotta run...
(Jan 6, 2011 08:32 AM)EvolPenguin Wrote:  So it's officially out, thoughts?
Alex

This post sort of sums up my first impression:
http://readthefuckinghig.tumblr.com/post...he-time-to
Annoyed
⌘-R in Chief
Well I will enjoy bringing up the average UI quality when Apple approves my app. Rasp
The MAS feels pretty snappy to me (browsing Apple's developer forums in Safari is more sluggish right now). There's also some good stuff on there. Glad to see some quality utilities at prices which don't seem desperate.

The "already installed" issue is easily explained, but that doesn't mean everybody thinks it's right. The big problem is that apps are identified by bundle identifier, and most devs just kept their old one. I think we should have received some warning about that :/

Right now the recommendation seems to be a unique identifier for the MAS version, or a higher version number. But that's not all, since installing a new version with a different identifier creates a directory in /Applications with that bundle ID as its name, and puts the MAS app in it!

The installation process is smooth and silent, but can still leave useless trial versions in the wrong place once an app is installed. But someone who just got a Mac will probably love it. I'm more positive than negative, but the HIG needs some respect and the trial to paid migration needs some help.
wonder if people still remember the MAS after a few days? It seems like... all the buzz has died >_>
(Jan 11, 2011 12:22 PM)skyhawk Wrote:  wonder if people still remember the MAS after a few days? It seems like... all the buzz has died >_>

Surely that shouldn't be a great surprise? The Mac App Store only supports 10.6.x, so a lot of users of older Macs can't use it even if they wanted to (eg. only my Mac where I live, out of eight), there are already established ways in which to buy software for the Mac whereas the App Store is the only legitimate channel for buying software for iOS, there is a much smaller (albeit growing) user base than that of iOS - and those are just the factors off of the top of my head... Although, didn't Apple issue a press release that the Mac App Store had shifted ≥1M apps in its first day? Although, a quick read of the press release notes that Apple specified that ≥1M apps had been downloaded rather than sold Wink

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
To be honest, I haven't opened it in a couple days Annoyed
Alex