Mac App Store

The questions scare me as much as the possible answers. Cry
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Well... I'm guessing it will be a bit like the iPhone store. It will probably soon become the only place where software is visible, and if you want to stay that way you have to stay on their charts. To do that... price race to the bottom just as we've seen before.

I'm having a difficult time seeing how this is a win for developers.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Jobs seemed to go out of his way to state that it wouldn't be the only way of putting apps on your Mac Wink

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Oh m'gosh, that is kinda scary. Well, we at least saw this one coming. One bit of good news is that, unlike with iOS, we at least have a choice about whether we want to go through Apple or not.

[edit] wow, three posts within two minutes of each other!
Sage
(Oct 20, 2010 11:42 AM)AnotherJake Wrote:  Oh m'gosh, that is kinda scary. Well, we at least saw this one coming. One bit of good news is that, unlike with iOS, we at least have a choice about whether we want to go through Apple or not.

[edit] wow, three posts within two minutes of each other!

What good is a choice if boycotting the store means near 0 sales? Principles don't pay the rent.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
That's an entirely fair point.
(Oct 20, 2010 11:40 AM)sealfin Wrote:  Jobs seemed to go out of his way to state that it wouldn't be the only way of putting apps on your Mac Wink

It all depends on what you're trying to do. But what if you're in the motives to sell your app?

What if your app has a critical bug that NEEDS to be fixed, if there is an appstore review process, you're likely screwed (in much the same way as predecessor).

I can't even think straight with this whole issue.

On the one hand: YAY! A RELIABLE WAY TO SELL SHAREWARE!
On the other hand: Gated heaven

And I swear if you have to pay to develop on the Mac...
I watched the keynote and dug around for more info on the Mac App Store, but I haven't been able to find much on the specifics yet. There are the review guidelines which I found, but they don't tell me the technical details I was hoping to find out about. The other links wind up saying access denied for me. Is there some other "pay" account we have to have with them on top of our paid iPhone dev account?

One positive thought I had about the Mac App Store, among many bad thoughts, is that it does open the door for budget (i.e. $0.99) games on the Mac. There will be a ton of budget ports from iOS to Mac for sure, especially games. While it's pretty easy to argue this is a bad thing, yes, it does mean that one major hole in the Mac vs. PC debate will start closing up a little bit in the eyes of the average consumer and the argument that -- "But there aren't any games for the Mac!" -- is about to change, at least somewhat.

Which brings up another point: Was I hallucinating when they said the Mac now has a 20% market share?
You weren't hallucinating; however, I believe that percentage is "share of consumer sales", not "market share"; also, I believe that percentage only pertains to the US.

Edit: yeah, that percentage is share of US consumer sales for the month of August; Cook(?) states that at roughly 3:30.

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Ah, I see what they did there. Cut the business sales out and you get an instant market share boost!
(Oct 20, 2010 01:55 PM)AnotherJake Wrote:  Ah, I see what they did there. Cut the business sales out and you get an instant market share boost!

Statistics: How do you want your numbers sliced today? Bored

So, after my initial freak out, I'm mellowing out to the idea, however still see it hurting as much as it helps.

Also I predict a flurry of no less than 20 fart apps for the mac without 2 months.
In addition to fart apps, I can also imagine that a lot of games that used to be free on the Mac will soon be migrating to the Mac App Store for a buck.

I've had a whole bunch of ideas over the years for games I'd like to do for the Mac but never started/finished them because they just couldn't demand a high enough asking price IMHO, to justify charging for them, but they required too much work to give away for free. Assuming Apple continues to allow low pricing tiers, some of those projects may see the light of day after all.

Geez, think about all the uDG entries from the past which will probably be found on the Mac App Store!

Again, the most *serious* negative that we all see is the immediate price race to the bottom. I'm hoping Apple does a minimum tier of at least $4 for Mac Apps. The thought of $1 Mac Apps gives me a sick feeling. Even $4 is low, but I'd hate to pay more than that for something like Frogger or Break-out. $1 sales are hard to make much income from unless you're on Apple's front page on the iPhone.
apparently the mac app store already existed
http://appbodega.com/
Ha! Never heard of it. Well, no matter anyway, since they'll be out of business soon.
(Oct 20, 2010 03:51 PM)AnotherJake Wrote:  Ha! Never heard of it. Well, no matter anyway, since they'll be out of business soon.

I doubt they will go out of business soon, so much as that app will become a dwarf to the mac app store.

Seeing as they only take 7%, sales from there would be more profitable per sale. Granted, I doubt you will get the volume you do with the mac app store