Mac App Store

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Yes, that is frustrating indeed. Well, like you said, there is still the link to the developer website and the support website and those are certainly highly visible. So I wonder if you can say there's a demo at the website in your description? If not, assuming users figure out universally that everyone has a demo at their website, then I wonder if it will be allowed to even host your own demo?
Quote this message in a reply
Simply put the text "Click on our support link for demos" in your description and host demos on your site linked via the support link on the page. (assuming Apple will allow that).

My idea's nothing new btw. the record industry has used it for years for the charts. Singles and Albums don't count for the charts unless they're above the minimum price point, are within certain boundaries of length (so you can't release a single that's padded out to album length and pretend it's even better value etc.) they even have rules on the number of remixes that can be released at the same time to prevent the sort of sneaky marketing tricks where you release the same single remixed 18 times and end up with 18 sales counting towards the single from fans buying each one.
Sage
I dunno... That smacks of something they would not allow. If you can't have a demo in the MAS, why would they allow you to link directly to one outside of the store? In the same vein will they allow you to link to your website if the website offers a different way to purchase? They already forbid selling content for a MAS app, this isn't really that different.

They haven't said that you can't sell your software through multiple channels, but I'm a bit worried about them pulling a Nintendo. Especially given that they do that on iOS already with a clause forbidding alternate (cough Cydia cough) app stores.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
I'll offer a summation of notable points in the conversation in this thread about the Mac App Store so far, which seem most important, and skip the less important stuff, like petty annual "club" fees (<-- still had to take a jab Rasp ):

1) The biggest issue appears to be fear of price depression across the entire independent Mac software market caused by the forthcoming presence of the Mac App Store, AKA: Fear of "the price race to the bottom", as witnessed on the iOS App Store. On the Mac, it looks to me like this is the "Walmart effect". Even if you do not distribute through the Mac App Store, or "MAS", it may very well affect the conditioning of what common users expect the price (and therefore value) of your app to be. Everywhere I've read online so far, this is the number one issue developers have, and I think we all agree that perceptions of this are reasonably based upon Apple's existing track record with the iOS App Store.

2) We don't know at this time how the forthcoming agreement will affect whether or not we will be able to A) host demos on our own websites B) announce that those demos exist on our own websites in the App Store "App description".

3) We don't know at this time whether or not the forthcoming agreement will require us to "sell" exclusively through the Mac App Store, which by default, loops back to point #2… and confuses the heck out of me. Head assplode.

#1 is personally my prime concern, far ahead of anything else I can dream up. I believe this may be a historic event in US economics which may lead to new federal regulation. ... unless Apple can find a way to maybe "join" us instead of stomping into the party like it was theirs.
(Oct 21, 2010 04:51 PM)Zwilnik Wrote:  My idea's nothing new btw.

I still think it's genius to apply it to this problem. They could have done it on iOS already.
⌘-R in Chief
To me, the questions of 2a and 3 are needless worrying. I have full confidence Apple isn't going to go there, because that'd just be insane.

Lack of demos, too strict of requirements (every screen recording application is currently not allowed in the store), and price depression are my concerns.

I also just think 30% is too high. I thought it was too high with iOS and I think it's even more "too high" for MAS. I have doubts that having a MAS is going to make anyone rich, and I fear many Mac users will *only* look in MAS for new apps, but a) getting at least 20% less per sale is a huge hit, and b) if you're not even allowed in, how are you going to survive?

I find the Mac app store very worrying.
(Oct 22, 2010 12:25 PM)FreakSoftware Wrote:  (every screen recording application is currently not allowed in the store)

Out of curiosity, why not?
I believe it's related to apps that need kernel extensions
Luminary
Also, SPIs...
I suppose I could understand the KEXT exclusion, sort of, but what the heck is SPI?
Isn't it obvious?
http://www.spi.com.sg/
Rasp
PowerMacX, I cannot possibly express the magnitude of my gratitude for extracting a LOL from me after the day I just had. Thank you very much. That was much appreciated LOL
Luminary
"System Private Interface", aka "Private API"
Ah, new terminology every day. Thanks for the clarification.
I'm worried about the race-to-the-bottom in prices that may occur. But I keep remembering interviews with Glenda Adams of Aspyr, where she was practically begging for Apple to sell Mac software via iTunes. (This idea predated the iPhone, I believe.) Like a lot of Mac publishers, they found the standard retail channel very expensive and limited- almost nowhere to sell their physical products.

Of course, since then Aspyr built GameAgent, and Steam has come to Mac. And there are other services. As long as Apple doesn't demand exclusivity, they've basically opened up the equivalent of a new retail channel for Mac software. (Not to mention, thanks to iPhone they've cultivated a whole new generation of Cocoa programmers.)

I think we'll see a flood of $1-$3 stuff, some of it good, some of it bad, but I don't think it's going to pull down the price of games that are currently selling on Steam or MacGameFiles for $5-$15. And Aspyr could sell a lot more copies of their digital catalog through it than through GameAgent. Heck, so could Freeverse and Ambrosia.

So I see it as a plus for Mac games and Mac software in general. I may be underestimating the impact of the cheap games that will inevitably come out, but I think there's reason to believe the higher-priced products will still exist.

I wonder if the games browsing and classification system will be as bad as it is for iOS games. I suspect it will..

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
(Oct 22, 2010 08:38 PM)MattDiamond Wrote:  I'm worried about the race-to-the-bottom in prices that may occur. But I keep remembering interviews with Glenda Adams of Aspyr, where she was practically begging for Apple to sell Mac software via iTunes. (This idea predated the iPhone, I believe.)

I recall Ryan Gordon was on this back then too (search for iTunes on the page): http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/finger...e=14-05-38