Interpreting .crash files

Greetings, I'm just wondering whether it is possible to transform a .crash file into a more informative stack trace viewable in Xcode's debugger or similar? (I don't believe a .crash file contains sufficient information, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong Wink)

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Quote this message in a reply
Thanks ThemsAllTook; however, I should've mentioned that I've already read TN2151: Understanding and Analyzing iPhone OS Application Crash Reports and that I'm trying to symbolicate a crash report from an app which was built using Xcode's "Build and Archive" option.

I've also tried to symbolicate the crash report using several command line tools, only to find that a lot (if not all) of the information I've found is out of date (eg. "-bash: symbolicatecrash: command not found"), and I've thrown .ipa files, .app.dSym files, and the executable-without-an-extension file from inside the .app bundle at atos, all to no avail: "atos: no processes or executables specified."

Mark Bishop
--
(Nov 11, 2010 11:35 AM)sealfin Wrote:  "atos: no processes or executables specified."

Sounds like an atos invocation error rather than a failure to me... Have you read the man page to make sure you're invoking it correctly? Unfortunately, my knowledge is pretty dated here, but I do remember being able to look up one symbol at a time with atos without too much trouble.

I found the page I used as a reference last time I needed to do this. At a glance, it looks more straightforward than the technote: http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/s...dumps.html
Here's a link I stumble upon a few years ago. I don't know if it's still useful, but here it is: http://furbo.org/2008/08/08/symbolicatifination/
Thanks ThemsAllTook; I re-read the man pages pertaining to atos, and I realised I'd forgotten to pass a flag to atos Blush
atos is now doing more than just reporting an error; however, all atos is doing is reiterating the address(es) I passed to it, followed by the name of the executable, eg. "0x<address> (in <executable>)" Cry

I've set the current working folder to be the folder which contains both the .app bundle and the .app.dSYM file, and my call to atos looks like...
Code:
Yin:Debug-iphoneos sealfin$ atos -o  Redacted\ Name.app/Redacted\ Name -arch armv6  0x0badf00d
0x0badf00d (in Redacted Name)
Yin:Debug-iphoneos sealfin$

I've tried following the instructions in the article you linked to, but I can't follow the instructions without any deviation as the development tools have been updated since that article was written (eg. the article assumes you're using Xcode 2.4.x, whereas I'm using 3.2.4.)

Mark Bishop
--