Testing Legit Game on Jailbroken iPhone

Apprentice
I'm building a game for the AppStore. I paid the $100 for the developer license and I'm testing my game on my non-jailbroken iPhone 4.

I want to get a 1st or 2nd generation iPhone or iPod Touch to test on (with OS 3.1.3). I'm looking on craigslist for a device, but many of them are jailbroken or running OS 4 (downgrading can apparently be tricky). Some of the iPhones I see are also "unlocked". I was thinking of maybe using one of these as a cellphone for my wife. However, I'm assuming that by "unlocked", they really mean jailbroken and unlocked.

My question is, can I test my legit game on a jailbroken iPhone/ipod Touch? Would it work in the same simple way as my iPhone 4, or would it involve screwing around with the jailbroken stuff?

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
I have never had any issues doing development on a jailbroken device. It may run a little bit slower than it would on the actual device (depending on what jailbreak apps you have installed), but it will go just fine. However, I would try to find someone who isn't trying to upsell you on the jailbreak, as it's almost trivial to do by yourself these days (and even if you buy one that is already, I would advise restoring and re-jailbreaking/unlocking it, to insure there's nothing shady going on with the device).
Alex
Apprentice
Thank you. That's all I wanted to know.

And yeah, I noticed that a lot of people try to sell 1st gen devices that are jailbroken at a premium price. "Same as the newest model", they say. Smile
I think I'm the only person around with a non-jailbroken 1st Generation iPod Touch.

I would offer to sell it, but I wasn't sure if it's worth anything now.

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError
Apprentice
It always amazes me how much used Apple products are worth. Out of curiosity I checked ebay, and found that I can probably sell my 3rd gen iPod nano for inbetween $60 and $100. That will almost cover an iPod Touch (depending on the deal, I could even come out ahead).
Yeah, the question does remain: how willing are you to support old hardware? At some point it's just not worth it. There have been some studies that show that people who don't update their hardware/software are way less likely to purchase apps on the app store. I'd say supporting any OS < 4.0 and any device that doesn't support IOS 4 or higher isn't really worth it. But, as always, it's up to you.
Alex
As a 1st Generation iPod touch owner, I am 100% likely to not buy another app as long as I own this device. Ever since iOS 4, whenever I plug in my iPod touch I get messages about "this app's latest update does not support iOS 3. This app will not be updated."

If I ever need to reset my iPod touch again, I will loose every app I have that hasn't maintained iOS 3 compatibility. I don't want to buy any more apps, because I know that I probably won't be able to use them.

It has truly degenerated to the point that it's just for playing music. It's had a good run, and I love my intrepid little iPod touch dearly, but I can tell that it's time for it to retire to the Landfill in the Sky.

Honestly, if I were you, I would just forget the idea of supporting any iOS 3 devices. It's not worth the trouble, especially since I can't imagine that anyone on a first-generation iOS device is still buying apps.

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError
Yeah, precisely. It's still not a bad idea to get a 3Gs or equivalent iPod Touch to test against, as these can still run IOS 4 but do not have the double-ram and retina display of the iPhone 4.
Alex
Apprentice
Well I wasn't sure what minimum device to aim. I was thinking 2nd generation devices (iPhone 3g), but then I figured that the 1st generation devices were the same speed, so I might as well target those.

I did not realize that the iOS 3 situation was so dire. I wonder how many of the top games still support iOS 3.

I still think that targeting 3gs is a bit high if you can avoid it. Consider that if you bought an 8GB iPod Touch 6 months ago, it would have essentially been a second gen iPod Touch (which is faster than iPhone 3g but quite a bit slower than 3gs). I also know quite a few people who still use the iPhone 3g. But then again, cell contracts in Canada are 3 years, so that is probably why they are more common here.
I believe if you purchased the 8GB touch 6 months ago it would be equivalent to the iPhone 3Gs, not the 3G. (3rd generation iPod Touch == iPhone 3Gs) Shooting for the iPhone 3G is not too bad of an idea though if you really want it.
Alex
Apprentice
My understanding is that the third gen 8GB iPod touches were actually just 2nd gen iPod touches (though they lowered the price since 2nd gen).
http://www.hardwareinsight.com/ipod-touc...eneration/

I've been looking through the top games on the appstore, and most of them say that they support iOS 3. If its not really any extra work (just set deployment target and don't use any new features), then I don't see any reason not to support it.

I'm going to try anyways, if it ends up being a huge time sink then I can drop it. The hardest part right now seems to be getting a working device with iOS 3 on it. (not sure how hard it is the revert from iOS 4, I've read varying stories on this)
In that article they're comparing the sizes of the 3rd generation (not 2nd and 3rd generation devices) (apparently processors differ in size), but it also says: "8: It’s faster than iPhone 3G S".
Edit: I see you mean 8GB. I guess I'm not sure, unfortunately too busy to look into this matter more.
Alex
This is a good reference to keep handy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iPh...uch_models

The 8GB iPod touch for sale during the 3rd gen cycle was indeed a 2nd gen device. Basically there's no such thing as a "3rd gen 8GB" iPod but lots of places that sell refurbs call it just that.

I have a 1st gen iPod in my pile of test devices but I doubt I'll be targeting iOS 3.x in my future projects. I may not even support the iPhone 3G going forward, but the 2nd gen iPod is still fairly capable in comparison and supports Game Center so that'll probably become my minimum target.
Apprentice
I ended up getting both 1st and 2nd gen iPod Touches. Total spent $150. I'm using the latest iOS possible on both, so that means I'm using 3.1.3 on the 1st gen. My game runs fine on that. So I'm going to support it for now - there is no reason not to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Testing Game Analytics BrianR 1 2,468 Nov 16, 2011 12:04 PM
Last Post: skyhawk
  Testing Game Center Before Submitting App superdoctor 3 8,712 Jan 15, 2011 12:26 PM
Last Post: MattDiamond
  What is the best iPhone for testing? captainfreedom 5 3,199 May 6, 2010 08:14 AM
Last Post: Frogblast
  iPhone testing tools bmantzey 9 5,954 Jun 30, 2009 03:51 PM
Last Post: kendric
  testing on iphone vs testing on ipod touch frozen 1 3,588 Oct 8, 2008 04:03 AM
Last Post: monteboyd