Orientation/rotation events

Nibbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 2010.10
Post: #1
Heya! I'm trying to have my prototype (iPad) app receive rotation events so that I can transform my apps' (OpenGL) visuals and touch events.

Whilst I know in theory what I should be doing - creating a UIViewController class, overriding the shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation: of that class to return YES, overriding the didRotateFromInterfaceOrientation: method of that class to let the app know when a rotation event has occurred, and reading the interfaceOrientation attribute of that class for the new device rotation - it ... just doesn't seem to want to work Cry

I created the project a while ago, with 99% of the project coming from the GLSprite example, and with the remaining 1% (the .XIB file) coming from the OpenGLES Application (iPad) template. I'm guessing that the problem is in the .XIB file - I've tried to edit that file to reflect the .XIB file from the WhichWayIsUp example (having the View become a child of the UIViewController rather than of the Window) ... but that just breaks the app (all that is rendered is a white screen and a status bar), and I have to restore the project from a back-up to undo the damage. Cry

So I'm just wondering whether anybody can point me to a tutorial or an example which shows how to receive rotation events in the abomination of an app I've described?
Quote this message in a reply
Member
Posts: 320
Joined: 2003.06
Post: #2
I had similar issues, and ended up creating a dummy view controller like this in my UIWindow subclass:
Code:
dummyViewController = [[DummyViewController alloc] init];
dummyViewController.view = [[UIView alloc]init];
[self addSubview:dummyViewController.view];

Where DummyViewController is just a UIViewController subclass, which also allows me to override - (BOOL)shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)interfaceOr​ientation

I'm not certain, off the top of my head whether this is what would solve your problem. It was just one of quite a few things I did in this area. But I think this was what then triggered the - (void)application:(UIApplication *)application willChangeStatusBarOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)newStatusBarOrientation duration:(NSTimeInterval)duration notification to be sent when it should be to my app delegate.

Sorry it's all a bit vague, but hopefully points you in the right direction.
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SDL1.3/OpenGLES and iPhone Orientation SparkyNZ 10 10,805 Apr 13, 2011 02:38 AM
Last Post: SparkyNZ
  OpenGL orientation on iPad Fred9000 7 6,703 Nov 27, 2010 01:21 AM
Last Post: Fred9000