H to O free iPhone game

This week saw the release of a simple free game for the iPhone called
H to O.

The aim of the game is to select letters in a row or column from a grid of letters.

For every letter in the range H to O you score a point. For all other letters you lose a point.

For those of you with a memory, this is based on a game I created for a 4 hour contest back on this site in 2005. The contest theme was water which explains the game's name and concept Rasp

This is a game that will be evolving over time to add features such as Game Center and playing against the clock.
[Image: htoo-iphone2-300.png]
[Image: htoo-iphone1-300.png]
Quote this message in a reply
Oh man, i remember this game, and the contest.
Downloading now!
Alex

Edit: 4.2 only eh? I've been too lazy to update. Will have to check it out later.
(Jan 9, 2011 03:32 PM)EvolPenguin Wrote:  Edit: 4.2 only eh? I've been too lazy to update. Will have to check it out later.

I just built it with the latest SDK - nothing 4.2 specific in it however it is going to be using Game Center for next release so time to get upgrade Wink
GameCenter is in 4.1. I just haven't gotten around to switching to 4.2 yet. Also I'm pretty sure you can set your target lower if you're not using 4.2 specific things Annoyed.
Alex
Yes, if you weak-link the GameCenter framework and handle the case where it isn't present, you can make it optional.

(For my app I let OpenFeint handle the actual integration, but I still had to remember to weak-link the GC framework. That was enough to make it compatible with iOS 3.x and 1st generation devices.)

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
(Jan 10, 2011 01:01 AM)BeyondCloister Wrote:  
(Jan 9, 2011 03:32 PM)EvolPenguin Wrote:  Edit: 4.2 only eh? I've been too lazy to update. Will have to check it out later.

I just built it with the latest SDK - nothing 4.2 specific in it however it is going to be using Game Center for next release so time to get upgrade Wink

The current version runs fine on my iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2, but if you add Game Center without making it optional, it won't, at least according to this thread (I haven't done any testing myself):
https://devforums.apple.com/message/342750

OTOH, according to this second thread supposedly you can't make it a requirement (ie, not optional) if a prior version didn't have the same requirements, to avoid the "I upgraded the app and now it's incompatible with my phone" problem:
https://devforums.apple.com/message/353739

Apparently there is no need to weak link just to support iPhone 3G (iOS 4.2), since it does have the Game Center frameworks (but disabled), check this thread (post 12):
https://devforums.apple.com/thread/70962

edit: fixed link
I just mean he could build it at the 4.1 target I believe?
Alex
Sorry, that wasn't meant as a direct response to your post I was just thinking what would happen if he adds Game Center later: no problem with 4.1, but may no longer work on an iPhone 3G. As it turns out, that isn't necessarily the case.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Game Development Crash Course - Free Video Tutorial J. A. Whye 0 183 Jan 29, 2013 01:34 AM
Last Post: J. A. Whye
  BulletLemur FREE iOS Game phydeaux 2 194 Oct 23, 2012 06:05 AM
Last Post: sealfin
  COOL FREE game - The Path Of Zinx roccofriday 0 606 Aug 7, 2012 03:08 PM
Last Post: roccofriday
  FREE !! “Super Fish” Good Game ! citiman9000 0 3,000 Dec 15, 2011 01:27 AM
Last Post: citiman9000
  Get Kicking - Free for iPhone/iPod game RushDigital 0 1,905 Oct 9, 2011 01:36 PM
Last Post: RushDigital