Nyom - HTML5 game

Hi folks,

I've been trying to get to grips with HTML5 (at a basic level) I wrote a snake clone called "Nyom". I'd appreciate if you'd give it a look-see and any feedback you might have is greatly appreciated Smile

Nyom
Quote this message in a reply
Hey Anthony,
I played for a few minutes in my class, and it seems pretty fun. I like the food rotting mechanic leaving little mines in the field. However, it's frustrating that the user moves so slowly that it's hard or even impossible to even get to the food before it rots, so I would advise the rot speed be dependent on the speed of the snake (obviously not every piece can be achievable from every location, but right now it's a bit too frustrating). Other than that, looks pretty cool, makes me want to play around with HTML5 some!
Alex
Pretty cool!

I would make it so pressing in the opposite direction than you are currently going gets ignore, and doesn't end the game ( ie, if snake is going right and I press left I die. Simply ignore it instead ).
(Jan 18, 2011 11:58 AM)EvolPenguin Wrote:  Hey Anthony,
I played for a few minutes in my class, and it seems pretty fun. I like the food rotting mechanic leaving little mines in the field. However, it's frustrating that the user moves so slowly that it's hard or even impossible to even get to the food before it rots, so I would advise the rot speed be dependent on the speed of the snake (obviously not every piece can be achievable from every location, but right now it's a bit too frustrating). Other than that, looks pretty cool, makes me want to play around with HTML5 some!
Alex

Thanks for playing the game Alex and I really appreciate your feedbackSmile I've been tweaking the rot speed constantly since I started making the game. I've found it frustrating myself to get the right balance between rotting too slowly so there's no challenge and rotting "quick enough" to challenge the player. I gave the rotting food a lifetime and a rot rate so I'm sure if I spend some more time at it I can find a sweet spot.

(Jan 18, 2011 12:17 PM)KittyMac Wrote:  Pretty cool!

I would make it so pressing in the opposite direction than you are currently going gets ignore, and doesn't end the game ( ie, if snake is going right and I press left I die. Simply ignore it instead ).

Thanks for playing the game KittyMac and thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it Smile

You're not the first person to say this to me! The reason I implemented the moves like that was because the version of Snake I had on my mobile phone works like that - you can't "eat" yourself.
Yeah really good man Smile Speaking from the all time high score holder on my old nokia Rasp I love it, but I agree with KittyMac about not being able to eat yourself.

~ Bring a Pen ~
Fun, but the snakey guy moves a bit slow and the pickup changed pretty quick. Maybe it would be fun if you had different modes. Fast paced for crazy people, medium for whatever...etc.
(Jun 28, 2011 11:36 AM)Injury Wrote:  Fun, but the snakey guy moves a bit slow and the pickup changed pretty quick. Maybe it would be fun if you had different modes. Fast paced for crazy people, medium for whatever...etc.

Thanks for playing it! I keep meaning to go back and fix little things like that. I was just learning javascript and how to use the html5 canvas while I was making the game so the code is full of bugs. I'm thinking of porting it to flash (using flixel) because I want to have a sound track and reliable sound effects.

I have ideas for other modes and I'd like to make it two player.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  TiltOut - HTML5 mobile game anthony 2 2,225 Aug 19, 2013 11:29 PM
Last Post: anthony
  HTML5 game looking for testers - 5 minutes, £50 prize draw hamstar 0 2,305 Oct 5, 2012 04:11 AM
Last Post: hamstar
  HTML5 Space Maze (Beta) - for Review saiy2k 2 4,158 Sep 16, 2012 08:22 AM
Last Post: saiy2k
  Stick Portal: HTML5, Box2Djs, Coffeescript, and open sourced glinden 1 3,952 Jun 10, 2012 01:00 PM
Last Post: anthony