iPad speed update, plus 3G suckage

Anyone who read/contributed to my slow iPad thread might be interested to know that the main offender was us using shaders. This is definitely flawed at a driver level, as just returning white in the frag shader ran much slower than the fairly complex terrain blend we're now doing on the FFP.

So now we removed shaders we're seeing >30fps on even fairly dense levels and I'm pretty happy with that. From what I hear generally, the game was never going to run at or near 60.

We've now added iPhone support to the game and it runs at about 40fps on my 3GS phone which is kinda cool. And that's still with iPad sized textures.

But then we tried to run it on an old 3G phone. After simplifying the terrain to fit within the more limited amount of tev stages, it ran ok. Well, ok if you think 5fps is acceptable.

How much of the market are we missing out on by not having a 3G compatible game? We could probably support this by drawing the level as a flat quad and putting stick-man sprites on! Sad

It seems the entire CPU was stuck manually copying vertices around.

Paul Johnson
Great Little War Game
Quote this message in a reply
It's always difficult to generalise because it comes down to your intended audience, but some stats from a project I worked on have iPhone 3G at 1.63% and iPod touch 1st Gen < 1%. Compared to some apps the sampling numbers on this are tiny, but let's say it's bigger than 10,000 and less than 50,000. Smile

From that I would not bother to support 3G but make sure you make that clear. We've had several 1 star reviews from 3G owners because we weren't clear enough that it wasn't designed to run on it.
Thanks Monte - that's damned handy to know. And good tip about clear labelling.

Paul Johnson
Great Little War Game
I'm not so sure.
I am specifically aiming my game at 3g and 60fps; after-all how many people can/will update to Apples delegated min spec of 3gs within say the next 2 years?
I know Apple want them too :-) , because they like cash from new hardware sales.
But I always think there's a missed market opportunity when you don't cater for the min spec.
Of course it all depends on your app; 5fps on 3g would make most people cry at attempting to play the game :-))))
Depends on the app I guess

Cheers