Mac RPG/Roguelikes?

Nibbie
Is anyone working on a Mac (as opposed to a ported or runs-under-emulation) game in the genre of a cRPG or Roguelike? [ Prefer free, doesn't have to be open source, etc ]

As examples, I can only think of the really old cRPGs like Realmz and BoE, etc. Even on the PCs all the modern cRPGs are more like Oblivion and Dragon Age (which are really "action adventure/shooter" type games in my book).

I tried playing some roguelikes (ADOM, Elona, etc), i prefer the ones with tiles, but they don't offer the kind of flexibility of modern games, not the "persistent feel" I'm looking for (many don't even have towns/stores). And they aren't mac apps, so playing them on my laptop just makes me want to move over to my Windows desktop (the game machine).

I'm toying with making my own in Cocoa, but I'm lazy and it's a lot of work, I'd rather just play someone else's finished Mac RPG game. Wink

Or do I have to knuckle-down and launch XCode? :'(
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
Our latest game Din's Curse is an RPG on the Mac. While it's not a roguelike it does have a lot of similar features.
I fired up Adom a couple months ago and couldn't put it down. Grew up on Nethack and all the variants. Would love to see more like it.

Din's Curse is great too, since you're looking for something more modern.

Let me know how your search goes!

Original Music and Sound Design for Video Games
http://www.harrymack.com
I believe that Dwarf Fortress has a Rogue-like mode in addition to the manic-depressive cat-lover simulator mode...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Nibbie
By Modern, I meant developed recently (something I didn't have to run under sheepshaver). Unfortunately, I forgot that "Modern RPGs" sometimes have different connotations to some vs others. I'm not really into the "Action RPGs", I like them, but there are so many of them, and I've played most of them that, it's kinda old now. { Besides, having seen too many series go from "RPG" to "Action RPG" to "Yea, it's basically a console FPS for teenagers" I'm a bit soured on "Action RPGs" }

However, the Spiderweb stuff and Din's Curse both look fun, not what I was looking for, but looks cool! I'll check those out, just to support the Mac game scene, but I'm really interested in "graphical roguelikes" with an RPG focus. You know, building your character, replayablity, interesting combat systems, etc. Not so much "teh sparkly graphics". ADOM is very close, but I was hoping there were other similar games with different design decisions implemented.

More in line: Dwarf Fortress sounds interesting, but it kind of scared me. =) [ When a game is so huge/complex that you have a separate utility to "Manage your Dwarves"... I'm not really sure I have that kind of free-time laying around!!!!] I'll probably fall into it anyway, but it looks like it's more focused on it's fortress part.

Thanks for all the good suggestions!
Dwarf Fortress has definitely got a ridiculous amount of complexity to it. With actual graphics and a friendly interface it would be more enjoyable to me. To heck with roguelike purists who want ASCII characters instead of graphics. Die out, already!

Steven Peeler's games have more new ideas to them. You should definitely check out both Din's Curse and Depths of Peril. A dream roguelike would be a mix of those with the addition of a pack mule and scale change to command armies after you settle in a castle. Get to it, Steven!
Here here, well said gnurf!

Original Music and Sound Design for Video Games
http://www.harrymack.com