Regarding resolution and screensize across iPhones and iPad

Nibbie
Hello,

We are starting to develop a little game for the iPhone - just to get startet and get some experience Smile.

My question is, what is the procedure when it comes to the different resolutions (3g and 4) and then the iPad. We want to make sure that our game is compatible with all three.

How do we do the graphics? Where do we start? Do we create at 480×320 or 960×640? Any automatic up or down scaling?

All in all - how do we do it Smile

Cheers,
Jesper
Quote this message in a reply
Are you looking for information on the design side or the coding side?

On the design side - I create a canvas in Photoshop that is 1024x768 or 768x1024 (iPad res) and also create a layer group which is masked to 960x640 or 640x960 for iPhone 4.

I then create all my designs as vectors or high res smart objects to fit the iPhone res and also to scale up or tile to the iPad res.

At the same time I always keep open a second window of the file that is zoomed out to 50% to give me some idea of the 3GS/iPhone 4 physical size.

But it is important to remember that the screen resolution while designing is lower than all the devices. 72ppi screen vs 326ppi (iPhone 4) vs 163ppi (3GS) vs 132ppi (iPad). For that reason it is always good to look at mock up images on the actual devices as you go.
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question about tmx files (tilemaps) and resolution for Iphone 3gs, Ipad, and Retina appsolutecreations 10 16,163 May 19, 2012 10:02 AM
Last Post: tapouillo