First Generation iPod Compatibility

My game has gotten some negative comments saying that it's not 1st generation iPod compatible. I don't understand why this is. It was built with SDK 3.0. If I rebuild it with SDK 2.2.1, will it fix the problem?

The game uses almost NO AppKit functionality, as it's almost entirely OpenGL ES.

Thanks in advance!
Quote this message in a reply
They probably never updated their software to 3.0, from what I've heard, a lot of iPod Touch users won't update because of it being $10
(Of course they go out and spend $10 on some useless apps. Not saying names Rasp ).
If you build it with 2.2.1 you'll still get people who claim it's not compatible with their iPod Touch because either they've only got 2.0 and iTunes alert tells you the game isn't compatible with the device without mentioning you can upgrade for free or because they jailbroke and that's causing some apps to fail to install or run or the download simply got corrupted.

Rather than read the bit that says it's compatible with their device or attempt any sort of re-installation or checking of forums, they immediately assume it's the same on all iPods and rant away in their user review.

2.2.1 will certainly make it available to more iPod Touch users (1st and 2nd gen), but those are users who won't even pay money to update their device to the latest OS, so chances are they're less likely to pay for games.
Sage
A *lot* of iPod users haven't updated their devices to 3.0. For the iPod it's a pretty useless update. The only real added value is copy and paste, and many iPod users (myself included) only use theirs for music and games.

We upgraded one of our development iPods to 3.0, but for my personal iPod, I didn't and have no plans to.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Check that the "Device Requirements" in iTunesConnect are set to "iPhone and iPod touch". If not, you've got to re-submit the app or email Apple and see what they can do.
This is by far the best Mac Dev forum out there. Thanks all for the intelligent, and helpful replies. Smile
Nibbie
Frank C. Wrote:Check that the "Device Requirements" in iTunesConnect are set to "iPhone and iPod touch". If not, you've got to re-submit the app or email Apple and see what they can do.

Just to be clear, its enough just to build with 2.2.1 SDK under the project settings to make it work on ipod touches not upgraded to 3.0? I don't have a device that isn't on 3.0 to test on so I wasn't sure.
Foyler Wrote:Just to be clear, its enough just to build with 2.2.1 SDK under the project settings to make it work on ipod touches not upgraded to 3.0
Yes, but the "Device Requirements" in iTunesConnect are an entirely different thing. You have to specifically select "iPhone and iPod touch" to support 1st gen iPods.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2nd Generation iPod Touch Faster than iPhone PowerMacX 0 2,002 Nov 23, 2008 10:08 AM
Last Post: PowerMacX