XCode 4, escape key

Hi,

In XCode 3.x, when I type something like:

myclassobject.

Then press escape key; it gives me a context sensetive list of member functions and data, relating to the class I typed.

XCode 4 doesn't do this; I press escape and get a strange character. *grrr* it is so annoying!

Anyone know how to change this behaviour back to what XCode 3 did?

Thanks!,
Quote this message in a reply
Sorry chaps, soved it. Turns out it was just a key mapping; to show code completion list. If that helps anyone, all well and good..
Glad to see you figured it out. I think we could all use more Xcode 4 solutions. Mad (my perfect solution is to not use Xcode at all, but I have no choice on my current contract)
(May 5, 2011 06:55 PM)AnotherJake Wrote:  Glad to see you figured it out. I think we could all use more Xcode 4 solutions. Mad (my perfect solution is to not use Xcode at all, but I have no choice on my current contract)

Hi Jakem

I'm curious, how is that working out for you?..

I assume you use all the Apple stuff for compilationetc? How do you go on for editing source files? How do you go on for debugging etc?
No Apple stuff at all, just using gnu make for the build management, gcc for compilation, and TextMate for source editing. They work fine, in contrast to Xcode 4, which randomly crashes, randomly changes my target SDK, randomly takes 5 minutes and 100% CPU to add a new file to the project, etc., etc. I still have to use Xcode for iOS deployment, unfortunately, but if I'm clever I can usually limit my Xcode exposure to a minimum.
Luminary
The command-line tools shipped by Apple with Xcode, which might be "Apple stuff" or not depending on your perspective Wink
True that Wink

Can't really say that it isn't "Apple stuff at all" since I do actually use tools that came with the dev package. On the flip-side, considering I can use the same source code and makefile on Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, and iOS, using essentially the same toolchain across platforms, there is a sense from that perspective that it is largely free of proprietary encumbrances such as Xcode or Visual Studio at least.
Yep, I was thinking of how would you do code signing and sending your app to an iDevice etc? or debigging while running on an iDevice? I guess you have no option but Xcode for that? I dunno.
I think you can sign from the command line, but AFAIK there is no way to deploy to the device, except from Xcode. So yeah, for iOS, Xcode is going to have to be used.

What I have been doing lately though is developing in a special Mac app I made which sort of simulates the iOS game environment. This way the bulk of the development is done outside of Xcode, then when it's time to move it to the device I either move the files to an Xcode project or via a static lib. I've been toying with the static lib approach in hopes that I can start using that for Android as well.
There's a command-line tool called codesign, which you can figure out how to use by looking at Xcode's build output. I haven't yet found a way to deploy to a device without using Xcode or run command-line gdb against an app running on a device, though. From what I could tell when I looked at it, they were done through a private framework that interfaces with the connected device. Code signing only required a tiny bit of reverse engineering, but talking to the device outside Xcode looks like a much deeper rabbit hole.
Ah right, codesign was the one. Be sure to let us know if you ever figure out how to deploy!
Another thing I'm struggling with is the Issue Navigator in XC4. When I get issues or errors in my source, they show up in the Issue Navigator okay, but if I click on them; nothing (it doesn't jump to the correct source file and line etc).

Any idea what's gone wrong?

My source files are in a folder that's above where my xcode project file is located (using the same source files for multile platforms etc). Could that break the Issue Navigator?