Poll: Would free music and sound effects appeal to you?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Poll about free music

Apprentice
Just getting a feel for things, does anyone think a website with hours of 100% free, royalty-free music, stingers and sound effects of very high quality, all created by several trained film composers and sound designers would attract your interest?

If so, what are some features you would like to see? what would would make it the best experience possible?

Thanks guys, looking forward to what you have to say!

-Spence
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Who's not gonna answer "yes" here? What's the catch?
Apprentice
Well I'm sure for some people this would be fantastic but I'm wondering how MANY people. Maybe only a few?
depends how bad it sounds?
Apprentice
It will definitely be of the highest quality trained professionals can summon
Yeah, that'd be sweet. We're always paying for our audio.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
⌘-R in Chief
Every site that started free has gone paid, and in unfortunately inconvenient ways. (I do not want to be forced to buy a subscription, pay for some number of "credits", or be required to buy a minimum number of sounds.)

I'm with OSC here — what's the catch? Smile
Apprentice
the catch isnt really a catch; the idea is to make money through site traffic primarily.

in addition to everything being free, there will be a higher resolution paid option where you can pay like 5 bucks to get the track in 96k resolution, even broken up into multiple tracks by instrument so you can play with the arrangement. but you will never be "forced" or even need a subscription. That's just if you want super high quality, which of course takes more bandwith and costs more for me.

or, if anyone has alternative models they would like to see? I'm totally open to suggestions! The goal is for me to make a profit, share music freely (which is very zen for me), but not by passing that on to the end user.
I doubt that that will be a viable model, both in the total income from ads and the number of artists who would be willing to contribute to something that would yield as little as this would.
Apprentice
Well hopefully the appeal of free quality music is enough to encourage heavy site traffic, at which point there will be several options for monetizing it, all of which of course won't effect the end user. If it never "takes off" at the very least it will be a resource for whoever is interested to use Smile and that't totally fine by me!

Ideally all art should be free, in a perfect world, unfortunately the need for survival will always out-weigh that ideal... in the mean time, small steps forward are always exciting!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Russian composer for your video-art (free music) OhDaeSu 0 2,240 Apr 6, 2012 02:24 AM
Last Post: OhDaeSu
  Part III of SPUP (uDG poll) stevejohnson 12 5,522 Aug 4, 2003 05:10 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Detecting a RagePro, and related poll inio 5 4,886 Jul 2, 2002 05:00 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho