uDevGames 2011

*Requiring* Github specifically would be annoying, as not everyone uses Git. Even with the Xcode 4 built-in support, I'm sure there are still devs out there (especially those still learning) using no version control.

<- Mercurial user
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
It would only be for the final submission. It's probably no bigger pain for those people than figuring out how to make a DMG, or sign an installer package for MAS, or...
Yay, uDG! Love

Regarding the proposed rules, the postmortem section talks about the number of words, number of screenshots, file format... perhaps it should also mention language?
(Jun 1, 2011 05:19 PM)Bachus Wrote:  *Requiring* Github specifically would be annoying, as not everyone uses Git. Even with the Xcode 4 built-in support, I'm sure there are still devs out there (especially those still learning) using no version control.
And some of us don't use Xcode, for that matter.
I am mostly happy about #8 here:

8. Entries must be in a "double-clickable" form, and run on a fresh install of Mac OS X 10.6.7 on a 64-bit Intel-based Mac without the aid of translation software (such as Rosetta) and without requiring the installation of any libraries, frameworks, or plugins. Web browser-based entries (“web players”) are also not allowed.

I suppose that means that Flash and Director are out. But I am still unsure about 64-bit Macs, after fairly recently seeing a claim about my Core2Duo MacBook not being capable of running in 64-bit, despite having a 64-bit CPU. Thus, it seems like a possible source of problems to me. I hope my 32-bit progams will just run and that's it, but you must always expect the worst from software.
(Jun 2, 2011 08:42 AM)Ingemar Wrote:  I suppose that means that Flash and Director are out.

Director still exists!? And there are people nuts enough to use it!? Rasp

Flash isn't necessarily out; there are ways to bundle a SWF into a double-clickable application. VVVVVV did it nicely enough. Sure, it'll be a hurdle for Flash developers, but certainly doesn't rule out their language of choice.

(Jun 2, 2011 08:42 AM)Ingemar Wrote:  But I am still unsure about 64-bit Macs [...] I hope my 32-bit progams will just run and that's it

They should, yes. As far as I know, unless you do something really extraordinary, any 32-bit Mac application you compile should run flawlessly on 64-bit hardware.
Luminary
the "64-bit mac" requirement is to *allow* 64-bit *only* apps. It doesn't disallow 32-bit apps, since all 64-bit Macs running Snow Leopard can run 32-bit apps. It doesn't disallow 32/64 fat apps either.

(All 64-bit Macs running Leopard or later can run 64-bit apps, but not all 64-bit Macs can boot the 64-bit Kernel which Snow Leopard includes.)

Flash is allowed so long as you use the thing ("projector"?) which makes a double-clickable Mac app.
Sage
You can build double-clickable apps with Flash actually. VVVVVV is a Flash game like that.

On a similar vein, we are still allowing Java even though it sounds like Apple will be dropping support in 10.7 right? I know kortham would be pretty annoyed about that.

Also, I'm fairly certain that all Intel Macs are 64bit capable unless they have the Core Solo or Core Duo (not the confusingly named Core 2 Due). There aren't very many of those models around.

edit: Bwa. Apparently I had this window open for like half an hour before responding and everybody beat me to it.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Actually, flash can make a double-clickable app. For example VVVVVV did that. You gotta use the "projector" thing.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Sage
* Skorche facepalm

Luminary
Java is still installed by default on 10.6.7, so yes, it would be allowed.
(Jun 1, 2011 07:20 PM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  It would only be for the final submission. It's probably no bigger pain for those people than figuring out how to make a DMG, or sign an installer package for MAS, or...

That would probably be fine. I should be getting a github account anyway.
Rule 5 Wrote:All entries should be substantially the team's original creation. Entries may use publicly available libraries, frameworks, engines, artwork, audio, and other resources as part of their projects. However, (a) such use must be acknowledged in the game's credits

I don't see the need for a) unless the libraries, artwork, audio, etc that are being used *requires* the developer to say that they are used in the credits or read me. At most, one could be required to place this information in the source code or postmortem.
Sage
Not necessary maybe, but... you know people really appreciate them when you give them credit when you are building on top of their stuff (like libraries *cough*). Right?

⌘-R in Chief
I agree there's no need. From the developer's perspective, we have all the code. From the public's perspective, they don't know what it is anyway. So only showing credit where required is fine to me. I'm not sure when the rule originated or why.

I like that some games in the past have had splash screens / intro movies for uDevGames. Thought it'd be nice if every game had that...