Hello World!

Yes, total newbage here. I have been going to school and programming here and there. I'm better at CSS/XHTML than game programming, but that isn't going to stop me...

I am running a g4ppc with 10.4.11 and Xcode2.5 so don't pick on me for having old junk! Wacko

Anyways, the question is where do I start with Xcode? Is it an IDE with C++ integrated? I just want to start simple, like everyone suggests, and make a 2d game with basic sprites and collision detection, maybe even audio! All in all, I noticed there isn't a lot out there for PPC chipsets and I want to expand that. My ultimate goal (I know, it's laughable), is a simple 2D open-source rpg. Its easier than you think if your standards are a lot lower (at least IMHO).

Suggestions will be worshiped!

Thanks for having me! Wow
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
I suggest a new(er) machine...
The PPC is dying, if not completely dead already.
The toolset available with newer mac / OS are too much to pass up to support an architecture less than single % user base uses.
There's little out there for PowerPC Macs as the last PowerPC Macs were built six years ago Wink

But if you're just interested in learning (and if you've already learnt C or any of its derivates) I'd suggest SDL as a starting point (and yes, Xcode is an IDE which calls command-line compilers eg. g++ for compiling C++)

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Thank you for your replies! I'm going to TRY and get a new computer...I know VB and enough of C++ to probably get things up and running.

I keep my desire to put some things on PPC because of games built with Xcode like Freeciv, a perfect example of Xcode's power in my mind....

Thanks again everyone! Already warm and shiny!
Nibbie
(Jun 20, 2011 01:54 PM)skyhawk Wrote:  The PPC is dying, if not completely dead already.

PowerPC itself isn't, but PowerPC Macs do.
PowerPC is still alive in actual consoles (Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation 3).
(Jul 29, 2011 12:49 PM)dindresto Wrote:  
(Jun 20, 2011 01:54 PM)skyhawk Wrote:  The PPC is dying, if not completely dead already.

PowerPC itself isn't, but PowerPC Macs do.
PowerPC is still alive in actual consoles (Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation 3).

fair enough rebuttal, but not relevant to the conversation Smile
Actually, getting down and dirty and learning some basic Mac programming with XCode and OpenGL on a PPC Mac isn't a bad idea (while you wait for a new one anyway Wink ) as the lack of new toys for it means you're less likely to be distracted by some other shiny apps while you're learning.

The downside is going to be finding relevant documentation for the version of XCode you're using and/or suitable upgrades/libraries etc. but if you keep it simple you should be ok. Another issue is that XCode changes every major revision (not always for the better :/ ) so don't get too fond of any keyboard shortcuts or menu features you're finding in XCode 2.5 Wink

The basic system APIs and Object-C haven't changed too dramatically since XCode 2.5, there are just more new features and a few that have been made redundant, so 99% of what you learn should still be relevant.
And really, you probably don't need to worry about no one else being able to play a PPC game. If it's your first game, it'll mostly be for you anyway- it's a learning experience. You'll probably end up wanting to rewrite it to improve it at some point anyway.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work