How to prevent my app from closing the user's currently playing music?

When i launch my iphone application the music that's currently playing from the iphone is stopped; how can i prevent this behaviour?
Quote this message in a reply
Use AudioSessionSetProperty() and choose an kAudioSessionCategory_ that doesn't stop music playback such as kAudioSessionCategory_UserInterfaceSoundEffects and then it'll play them both at the same time.

Is that what you're looking to do?
bruss14 Wrote:Use AudioSessionSetProperty() and choose an kAudioSessionCategory_ that doesn't stop music playback such as kAudioSessionCategory_UserInterfaceSoundEffects and then it'll play them both at the same time.

Is that what you're looking to do?

Well, i tried doing it like this:

AudioSessionInitialize(NULL, NULL, NULL, self);
UInt32 sessionCategory = kAudioSessionCategory_AmbientSound;
AudioSessionSetProperty(kAudioSessionProperty_AudioCategory, sizeof(sessionCategory), &sessionCategory);

AudioSessionSetActive(true);

but it does not work. I am playing sounds with OpenAL and when my app launches it still stops the current track played from the ipod library.
I've found this to be touchy in OS 3.x depending where and when you initialize OpenAL. Try this order:

AudioSessionInitialize
AudioSessionSetProperty
Init OpenAL (alcOpenDevice, alcCreateContext, alcMakeContextCurrent, etc.)
AudioSessionSetActive
Frank C. Wrote:I've found this to be touchy in OS 3.x depending where and when you initialize OpenAL. Try this order:

AudioSessionInitialize
AudioSessionSetProperty
Init OpenAL (alcOpenDevice, alcCreateContext, alcMakeContextCurrent, etc.)
AudioSessionSetActive

Thanks, it finally worked!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Slowdown while playing many OpenAL sounds and accessing AVAudioPlayer.playing Rasterman 6 5,972 Aug 31, 2010 09:46 PM
Last Post: headkaze
  Playing sounds and music on iPhone, which API to use? Jamie W 17 9,417 Apr 20, 2010 07:55 AM
Last Post: Beast
  Prevent 3rd party lib from messing up gl kendric 6 4,468 Sep 15, 2009 06:56 PM
Last Post: kendric
  Prevent screen from dimming during game npatrick6 3 3,734 May 22, 2009 10:22 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Prevent iPhone SnapShot? Graphic Ace 5 3,838 Mar 29, 2009 08:49 AM
Last Post: Graphic Ace