uDG 2011 Entry: Z-1

Founder
Vast is space… complete is the destruction… in my womb you rejuvenate… fragmented visions of past horrors, endless suffering and the chaos of humanity's great retreat stirs your soul. Reborn for my love. Reborn for my vainness. Reborn for my vengeance. Too soon we must shift to real space to anew our witness of this dread Krek plague. Cruel are their unrelenting swarms. Shorn with mercy. Yet as I enumerate their patterns I am consumed by the revelation of their miscalculation. The way is clear. Rebirth is near. All shall fear.

This thread reserved for feedback, screenshots, etc...

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
(Jul 7, 2011 05:29 PM)Carlos Camacho Wrote:  Vast is space… complete is the destruction… [..] fragmented visions of past horrors, endless suffering and the chaos of humanity's great retreat stirs your soul. [..] Cruel are their unrelenting swarms. [..] All shall fear.

Great description of the uDevGames contest! Now tell us about your game.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Can't wait to see it!
Alex
(Jul 8, 2011 06:37 AM)MattDiamond Wrote:  
(Jul 7, 2011 05:29 PM)Carlos Camacho Wrote:  Vast is space… complete is the destruction… [..] fragmented visions of past horrors, endless suffering and the chaos of humanity's great retreat stirs your soul. [..] Cruel are their unrelenting swarms. [..] All shall fear.
Great description of the uDevGames contest! Now tell us about your game.

LOL
Founder
Doug is/has working on proof of concept, then going on to the engine and hopefully I can poke him towards creating a level editor based on my mockup (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1...9&type=1). I'll be pushing pixels, doing audio and creating the story. I hope to bring in a Japanese painter to do our stills, character images and non-engine graphics. Fundamentally it is a shoot'em-up in space. Since we are 'old boys' from the 8-bit era, it will be rooted in that decade where both of us lost much coin to a certain game starting with G. Anyways, I've always hated the typical, 'Lets shoot the aliens just because...' Sure, its a shooter.. but I've always been interested in why shoot them? What did they do to you? etc etc... I'm fleshing out the 'characters' which I hope can find their way into the game... maybe not the released uDG11 game, but some future version. Smile It's a good way to kill time as Doug does all the 'hard work.' Wink

Ah, I just read your post MattDiamond. Nice. Yes, that is our fallback plan... if the shooter doesn't work out, we'll spin it into a game about developers killing themselves. It will be like lemmings. I will take great joy and seeing all past friendemies from here go off cliffs without little parachutes.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I've started a basic dev diary at: http://z-uno.tumblr.com/

It's mostly stream of consciousness and doesn't have a lot of meat in it. But I'm hoping gameplay and screenshots will be up soon.
Founder
Some concept images on my Facebook profile:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a....596355239

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Nice nebula Carlos, and I love the Junivision title.
Founder
Working on player sprite....

[Image: top.jpg]

[Image: iso.jpg]

Need to texture it next.

Early level editor mockup....

[Image: level_designer.jpg]

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
First character image from our graphic artist Noriko Jepson. This is Artur (Call sign: "The Artful Dodger"), the hero and pilot of the ship.

[Image: artur-poster.jpg]

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
[Image: uQ3Sl.gif]
Founder
Asha was just finished...
[Image: asha-poster.jpg]

Textured image of Malleus... one of the ships you will fly..
[Image: hammer-poster.jpg]

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Looking amazing!

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
That's some pretty sweet artwork! How's it feel to be back game-devving?
Alex
Founder
Thanks Karl.

EvolOne, yeah feels nice but I haven't gotten 100% back in.. I think I won't until I can make my office in my basement... Then, watch out... now if I could only get Doug to connect his internet so we can continue this baby...

My wife's friend Noriko is doing 2D art based on lots of selected faces, clothing and so on I selected for her. She is crazy good... Uses Corel Painter and touch pad for everything. Down the road, I want to talk her into doing a graphic novel to go along with this game.

I just got a quick demo of a song from my old buddy back in Japan. So hopefully we can get going with music... lucky for me, I have gigs of SFX.. lol

Writing a story/creating a universe has sucked most of my time... Maybe it isn't ideal for this contest considering the time constraints? I thought the hardest part graphic wise would be to have the main ship something I liked. That is nearly out of the way... I'm pondering to start banging out the sprites of this ship and moving on to the 100s of other sprites or spending a tad more time in the texture department. My mind says, 'It will become a 64x64 sprite in the end... move on..' But my artist soul says... 'Get it right!' LOL

Outside of the game asset realm I have been looking at many frameworks and tools that are 'in' right now and many that are not so in vogue but appealing. Much has changed since I actually had to code... does anyone use Pascal on VMS anymore? lol Maybe my desktop Mac is faster than my old colleges' VMS system

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kung Fu Killforce [uDG 2011] JustinFic 34 32,850 Jan 14, 2012 12:49 PM
Last Post: skyhawk
  Your Story [uDG 2011] maximile 64 45,991 Oct 25, 2011 07:13 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Flying Sweden [uDG 2011] WillMiller 59 47,671 Oct 19, 2011 08:05 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook