Reign- A Chess RTS

Some levels are noticeably slower, but they never go below 30 fps for me. I'll take a look at it.

Pathfinding was a known error that I didn't have time to fix before the deadline, I'll take a look.

Thanks for pointing out the map issue.
Quote this message in a reply
Read up on it some, and apparently all the glBegin/glEnd/glVertex functions are deprecated?
Does anyone know if switching to vertexBuffers for this kind of thing really provide a significant speed boost?
No, that shouldn't make much of a difference. Try profling your app with Shark and see what the hotspots are- it's possible it's not graphics.
Thanks. I'm unfamiliar with shark, but will take a look at it.

Edit: Also, was the slowness actually in the framerate ( tilde will pull up a console with framerate displayed), or just in game speed? Because the king is way slow of a unit, maybe too slow for the player to just start out with.
Luminary
Begin and End are horribly slow, switching to VBOs will provide a large boost... if what's hurting you is that code. Profiling is sound advice.
Firstly, congratulations on making it to the end of your (first?) uDG. That alone is an impressive accomplishment. Smile

I played Reign for a bit, and put down some thoughts (hopefully constructive) here.
1. The intro is cool. There’s a typo at the “Dawn” part - there’s a “wher” instead of a “where”.
2. I was kind of confused at the beginning - the camera starts out focused on the black pieces, but I’m controlling the white pieces(?), so I had to do some looking around to figure out how exactly I was supposed to move.
3. I had trouble with the movement as well - I got my king to climb up a tall cliff, but I couldn’t get him to climb back down to attack the black pieces, so I couldn’t even get into the combat part of the game. Am I missing something there?
4. I couldn’t figure out the blue lines either. Is it some kind of pathfinding display?
5. From the perspective I was in, the pieces just looked like black and white dots - I couldn’t even tell the king was a chess piece until I zoomed in pretty close, which also contributed to my confusion at the beginning.
6. Kudos on the explanatory text - maybe when you get a bit more time a tutorial level would be in order?

Overall, I think you’ve got a pretty neat game/story concept here, and would love to play it if you take it a bit further with the gameplay and graphics, and add some nice music/sound effects.

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Today I did a review on Gordon's game.

respect,
pk

iFrog is coming.