Is your first attempt at a game allowed to be disappointing?

Apprentice
I already knew Objective-C and thought as a fun project I'd have a play around with teaching myself OpenGL and before I knew it I'd made a basic game!
The thing is, although I quite like the game myself, the graphics are a little basic as I'm not a graphic artist and I was wondering if people usually put up there first ever projects onto the App Store or just put it down to practice and leave it to rot on your hard drive as you make more amazing-looking projects and only publish those? Smile
Quote this message in a reply
It's completely up to you, but if you're not seriously ashamed of it, there are many benefits to releasing your games rather than just keeping them you yourself. You may get some good feedback that will help your next game be even awesomer, and you get the experience of what's involved in actually making a release. The urge not to release a game because it's "not good enough" is a problem many developers struggle with (myself included!), but there isn't a single game I've regretted releasing, and I know at least a few of them are real stinkers.
Apprentice
well I guess nobody can complain that much if it's free Smile Thanks for the advice ThemsAllTook
Your first attempt at a game isn't just allowed to be disappointing... I think it's a requirement. At a minimum, it will be disappointing to you many months/years from now Wink

Either put it up for free and get feedback, or keep polishing it and then put it up. elance.com and odesk.com are nice places to get decent graphics for fairly cheap.

As a developer, always remember Steve Jobs: "Real artists ship."

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
(Jul 16, 2011 02:45 PM)littleblue50 Wrote:  well I guess nobody can complain that much if it's free Smile

You really must be new to the App Store Rasp
Apprentice
release early, update often!

here's an anecdote: I released a 2d side scrolling shooter with the movement controls on the RIGHT side of the screen, and shoot button on the LEFT. Gamers were breathing fire down my tail for breaking convention, when I wasn't even aware that there was one!

About me
I experiment with game analytics. Read about it here
Nibbie
It's good practice to get into the habit of finishing games and releasing them (on-time).

I'd recommend not only releasing your game, but planning when you'll update it. Then focus on making the game as good as you possibly can with the next update (in the allocated time).

Rinse-and-repeat and you'll be surprised how quickly your skillset develops.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Downloadable user content: what is allowed and what is the best way to do it? alerus 0 2,798 Jul 19, 2011 01:35 PM
Last Post: alerus
  I thought this wasn't allowed EndeavorBros 3 3,322 Oct 5, 2009 07:08 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake