Scruffy3D

Some of the folks here might remember me as the dim3 guy; that's still going strong (the iOS version is in development, so it's cross platform OS X, Windows, Linux (if you compile), and soon iOS!)

But what I've really poked my head back in here is to announce Scruffy3D, a throw-back side-scrolling platformer (written in dim3) up at the Mac App Store! I have a demo in the queue, but you can get the official version at:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scruffy3d...mt=12&uo=4

Even older folks might remember the old B&W Scruffy or 8 bit color Scruffy ][ from many moons ago. This is the 3D continuation of that. It's a steal at $2.99!

[>] Brian
Quote this message in a reply
omg! I remember dim3 o_o
Talk about old school.

Nice to see you're still alive and making sweet games. =)
Can't wait to hear more news about dim3 on iOS as well
I remember you! That brings up another question I have for the people here -- any good strategies for raising awareness?

For instance, I just put together a free Scruffy3D demo (pending review), that should help ... but something you figure out very quickly is visibility is the key in app stores. If you get app of the day, or news and notable, then you get sales. There's no way to bank on that; different approaches need to be taken. So I pushed out to mac sites for reviews and hit a couple boards (including this one), where I thought people might like it and then spread it by word of mouth.

Any other strategies anybody here has employees to good use?

[>] Brian
be liberal with your promo codes to game reviewers.
Apprentice
skyhawk -- are there really that many game reviewers covering the Mac these days? If so, where would I find them?
(Aug 1, 2011 03:33 PM)ggadwa Wrote:  Even older folks might remember the old B&W Scruffy or 8 bit color Scruffy ][ from many moons ago. This is the 3D continuation of that. It's a steal at $2.99!
I sure remember, all the way back to the B/W version. Ran like charm on my old SE, and a pretty silly but also varied and entertaining game.

Rejuvenating old 2D games, either in 2D (maybe with polished graphics) or in 3D, it is tempting. I have a few old ones that I'd like to do that to. Actually, I am working on a port right now, but that is just a port (making it run under Lion), not a rewrite. A rewrite/significant update would be better.
A demo is great, but a YouTube video with high production values and gameplay examples is what usually gets me to look closer at a game.
I'm hoping back in again to say Scruffy3D has been released for iOS!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scruffy3d/id529290081

This means dim3 can now (from the same project files) run on OS X, win32, linux (if you compile it), and iOS!

My next game will be a re-do of Tanks of Terror (remember that one!), but as more of a 3rd person tank shooter than a kart game.

99 cents, an even better steal Smile

[>] Brian