Smoothing models

Founder
I've created a model using various primitives. I want to export my model (dxf, obj, cae, 3ds formmat) into another app to help smooth out the shapes. My first thought was ZBrush as I recall a demo long ago having nice smoothing (subdivision) functions. I'm lost in their latest version. Any other app (on the Mac hopefully) that can smooth out the edges? Especially where one primitive intersects another primitive. I gave Blender a try last night but got lost in its interface.

Model I want to smooth can be seen here:
http://www.idevgames.com/forums/thread-9...tpost.html

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
to be clear, you're asking for something that'll blend the polygons together, smoothing transition, and not for anti-aliasing your render, right?
Founder
correct.. not the final render but the actual polygons. My modeler can do more organic, and curved surfaces but I've never really mastered those tools, so I find it faster to create with basic shapes and then smooth the polygons together. A bit like metaball. Zbrush does this fairly well. Of course, doing this is the opposite of creating low-count polygon models since youa re adding more geometry. But in this case, my model is going to be pre-rendered into sprites so I don''t care about model size.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
You can try wings3d, simply select the model and press 's'. Yes, it isn't terribly flexible but... Wink

One important caveat is that wings3d doesn't do boolean operations (without plugins) so remember to pre-merge primitives that you want smoothed together in your original app before importing the model into wings.
http://www.meshmixer.com/ might do the trick.
Founder
I tied Wings3D. The good thing is that it didn't crash. The bad thing is that it doesn't allow for any control, so the results weren't nice.

I then tried Meshworks. It seems like it would be good but I kept on running into crashes.
Sad

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Blender?

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2..../Smoothing
(Skip down to the Smoothing the mesh geometry section)

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Founder
Yeah, I have looked at that tutorial. I can't figure out the settings though. I never used Blender before.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Have you tried Cheetah 3D? There you can do different subdivision algorithms for smoothing and you can define edges that don't get smoothed (like the edge of the wings). It imports and exports different formats.

respect,
pk

iFrog is coming.
Founder
I haven't because I don't have a license for it... yet. Smile

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames