The Supporter

Kept thinking I was going to have to drop, but a few more milestones and I might have something playable. This would be my first Obj-C game(or anything, for that matter), and the most programming I've done in quite a few years.

Some pics:
http://drtlight.imgur.com/the_supporter_..._diary/all

Hopefully a binary will appear soon! [edit] Binary below!

Preview 3 (9/21)
http://udevgames.s3.amazonaws.com/entrie...porter.zip

and some music:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1483502/Supporte...20Role.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1483502/Supporte...20Zack.mp3

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Not quite sure what I'm looking at just yet in those screenshots (a space shooter?), but keep at it. We want to see that executable. Wink

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
⌘-R in Chief
One month left. You can do it!
Thank you sir, giving it a good go currently. And for the purpose of the contest, I might classify it as a "Tactical Brawler"...if that is a term.

Still have a lot of temporary GFX in place, which is being replaced over the next 2 weeks. And it crashes like a geriatric race car driver. However, a few more abilities, a few more enemies, some interface revisions and it will be not half bad. Maybe even fun. Grin

"+" & "-" will go from one level to the next, though there are currently only 2
click to move
click+hold will bring up the soon to be revised abilities menu

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Latest build uploaded

-Continued tweaking abilities menu, now accessed and dismissed via right mouse key
-Everything has health bars now
-Tweaked mech AI

Next steps will be to make a couple of coherent intro levels, make a main menu, and add a couple of abilities to help round out the skill set. Then there is all the placeholder art to fill in.

Huzzah!

Latest build uploaded

-Menu set in place and mostly tweaked, just going to pop icons in instead of text when they are complete
-Made a "real" level, although it can be easy/repetitive at this point due to unlimited weapons.
-Other things, I forget

Next steps will be to add more varied enemies (drones, missiles, AWACS-ish chopper), introduce a scoring system that rewards efficiency, possible weapons allocation based on score. And other things. But, at least it looks like a game. Grin

Latest build:
The Supporter

New player sprite:
[Image: TPSbj.png]

Chopper:
[Image: vOWd0.png]

Drop Bomb:
[Image: YlC24.png]

- Several final graphics added
- Added a fuel gauge (you die when you run out), but still need to implement increased fuel use for certain abilities.
-Various improvements and bug fixes
-Several items still buggy due to being only half implemented

Next up is continuing polishing and implementing the efficiency reward system the rest of the way.

Anyone try this thing out on Lion, perchance?

I gave the latest build a try on Lion and ran into this error:

Code:
9/29/11 8:48:22.845 AM The Supporter: MacGLView loaded
9/29/11 8:48:22.934 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: cocos2d v1.0.0
9/29/11 8:48:22.934 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: Using Director Type:CCDirectorDisplayLink
9/29/11 8:48:22.966 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: OS version: 10.7.1 (0x0a070100)
9/29/11 8:48:22.967 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: GL_VENDOR:   ATI Technologies Inc.
9/29/11 8:48:22.967 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: GL_RENDERER: ATI Radeon HD 5870 OpenGL Engine
9/29/11 8:48:22.968 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: GL_VERSION:  2.1 ATI-7.4.10
9/29/11 8:48:22.970 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384
9/29/11 8:48:22.971 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: GL_MAX_MODELVIEW_STACK_DEPTH: 32
9/29/11 8:48:22.972 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: GL_MAX_SAMPLES: 8
9/29/11 8:48:22.972 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: GL supports PVRTC: NO
9/29/11 8:48:22.973 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: GL supports BGRA8888 textures: YES
9/29/11 8:48:22.974 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: GL supports NPOT textures: YES
9/29/11 8:48:22.975 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: GL supports discard_framebuffer: NO
9/29/11 8:48:22.976 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: compiled with NPOT support: NO
9/29/11 8:48:22.977 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: compiled with VBO support in TextureAtlas : YES
9/29/11 8:48:22.977 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: compiled with Affine Matrix transformation in CCNode : YES
9/29/11 8:48:22.978 AM The Supporter: cocos2d: compiled with Profiling Support: NO
9/29/11 8:48:23.195 AM The Supporter: *** -[NSArray initWithArray:range:copyItems:]: array argument is not an NSArray

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Thanks. Guess it'll be a last minute upgrade to Lion then.

Lion issues finally squashed on my end. Mostly trouble with accessing plists, leading to fantabulous WTF moments for me. Got one of my machines upgraded to Lion and tracked it down last night and this morning. Seriously, it was stupid.

Latest build (non-final), tested on 10.6 and 10.7
The Supporter

Still have a few levels to do, some tweaks/minor bug squashing, and then of course documentation / simple tutorial levels. Totally doable now!

Ran on my 10.6.8 Macbook. I had no idea what the controls were or what I was supposed to do (when I started the game I seemed to very sluggishly move my ship around with WASD, but to what end?) Are you guys going to include a README if no in-game help?
Well that is an excellent point, and I've been working on that (among other things) since this morning. But, in a nutshell, right click brings up the abilities menu, left click(in addition to the WASD) to move / apply loaded abilities, and move over the bunkers to capture them.

Once all bunkers are captured the level is complete. First level is kind of a test thing though; you can skip to the next with "+". Level 4 and up are currently not implemented, but ill be in build for the deadline.

Thanks!

Ahh, that explains a lot. I am playing on my laptop trackpad and it appears that what is normally right click emulation (ctrl+click) does not work on your game, so it is unplayable on a single-button trackpad or mouse. Remember that this is a Mac contest, so many of your users won't even know what right-clicking IS! It's a much more appropriate control scheme for a PC game, though you might have a similiar problem with novice users.
Good point, I forget the double-fingered right-click is disabled by default on most trackpads. I will implement a keystroke to perform that function.