uDevGames 2011 - Updates

⌘-R in Chief
The voting page is up for you to look at and test:
http://www.udevgames.com/vote/

Each team is allowed to vote for every other entry in every category. The public (which includes individual team members) votes only for the "Best Overall Game" category.

If you're going to vote as your team, just log in with your normal team email/password. To vote as a civilian, you need to register with an email different from the team's.

All of the votes will be wiped when voting begins, so any votes you make now will not count. Please please please test.
Quote this message in a reply
Everything seems to be working on the public votes section, the only thing I noticed is that on Firefox (6.0.2) the login & signup text fields (email, password) are too wide and get cut off on the right.

edit: also, there are some *weird* entries!
edit 2: forgot to mention it: the voting system looks awesome Love
⌘-R in Chief
I didn't see the edits. What "weird" entries?

I can see some of you have tested it. No problems? This is what it all comes down to, so I want to make sure it's rock solid. Smile
only the best entry ever http://udevgames.com/entries/193
⌘-R in Chief
With just 24 hours until the submission date, I know you're all working feverishly on your entries! Right? A couple of things to note about what will happen over the next day+.

Download Hosting
-----------------------
Regarding the downloads, you may host the file on your own server as long as the link you put into the entry's Binary Link field is a direct download and does not take the user to a webpage of any kind. So any of those free file hosting sites are not allowed. If you don't have your own server, take advantage of the lovely free hosting I'm providing for you. Even if you do have your own server, expect there to be enough traffic to potentially be a problem with any bandwidth/usage caps on your hosting account, so you should use iDevGames' if that's a concern.

Submission Updates
-----------------------
You should all update your entry with a valid binary link before the deadline (either using your hosting or iDG's). At the moment the deadline comes, anyone without a valid link will be marked as not entered into the contest and your entry will no longer appear on the website. You ARE allowed to update your entry after the deadline. This is so you can fix crashes and bugs; you should NOT rely on this time to add new features to the game. Voting will start almost immediately after the deadline so you should expect that many voters will be playing the first submission of your game, and will not download later versions after that and update their votes.

Screenshots
-----------------------
PLEASE MAKE A SPLASH IMAGE FOR YOUR GAME AND UPLOAD SCREENSHOTS. The mini splash image should be 4x3 and optimally sized for 160px x 120px. This is very important. If you don't have one, you will look silly and no one will try your game. Just sayin.

Gameplay Videos
-----------------------
You should really consider making a video of the gameplay for your game, perhaps walking the player through the game and how to play it. For making a screen recording of your game, you can use the Screenflick 2.0 preview available from http://www.araelium.com/screenflick2. It's completely free to use with no limitations, so there shouldn't be any reason you can't use that to get some gameplay footage. Export it, drop it into iMovie, add some titles and what not, and upload it to YouTube.

You can embed YouTube videos into your entry info really easily. After uploading the video to YouTube, grab the video's id, enter into the right spot in the code below, and then paste it all into the bottom of your Description field for your entry:

<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="385" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VIDEO_ID_GOES_HERE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Voting
-----------------------
http://www.idevgames.com/forums/thread-9...72455.html

The voting page is up for you to look at and test:
http://www.udevgames.com/vote/

Each team is allowed to vote for every other entry in every category. The public (which includes individual team members) votes only for the "Best Overall Game" category. If you're going to vote as your team, just log in with your normal team email/password. To vote as a civilian, you need to register with an email different from the team's. All of the votes will be wiped when voting begins, so any votes you make now will not count.

Website Tweaks
-----------------------
There's now a Version field in the Entry Info. You should update the version number with each new version you release so people can know if something changed. You can use a version format such as: "1.0.13 (2011-10-01)" to show both the version and the date it was created.

The Twitter field in the Team Info is for your Twitter account if you have one. If you enter one, then a "Follow me on Twitter" button appears on your entry page and also on the voting page.

There's now an Updates field in the Entry Info. This is for you to display short notes about what has changed in the most recent submission of your game. This field is shown in a new sidebar panel on the entry page and on the voting page.

Entry Banners
-----------------------
If you want to make a [tasteful] 1003x200 pixel banner, I'll put that at the top of your entry page. It should contain the name of your game in the image. Here's an example:

http://www.udevgames.com/images/SampleEntryBanner.jpg

When it's displayed on the voting page, however, it will only show the center 800 pixels; the 100 pixels on the left and right side will be cut off, so make sure the name of your game fits within that 800 pixels

Email me (staff@) the image and the name of your team/game and I'll put it place. The sooner, the better.
Is there a way to reset the password? I put something non-memorable when testing the voting page and didn't set the browser to save it...
Blush

As for the weird entries, yes, the one skyhawk mentioned and there was another one that said something along the lines "I'm only entering because I was told to" and seemed to be some sort of click counter.
(Sep 30, 2011 06:27 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  With just 24 hours until the submission date, I know you're all working feverishly on your entries! Right? A couple of things to note about what will happen over the next day+.
Just to be clear, the final deadline is tomorrow at midnite(gmt) not today at midnite? Blush
Take a look at the timer at the top of the page here:
http://udevgames.com/

7 hours as of my post!

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
You guys should really extend the development period to midnight Sunday US time. A lot of teams could probably use it.
So are you confirming that the timer is wrong Andy? Because I'm going off the date in the rules page.
Apprentice
4 hours left as of this post. Sad
⌘-R in Chief
Not sure if you're going to like me or hate me, but yes, the timer was wrong. You have another 24 hours. Smile
Apprentice
You are right. Not sure if I am happy or angry now XD. Well More time is always better I guess Rasp
And my heart palpitations subside!
Rolleyes
Bad news to cut it this close anyways. Sneaky
I thought it was off, but everybody was running with it...

OK, awesome.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kung Fu Killforce [uDG 2011] JustinFic 34 34,559 Jan 14, 2012 12:49 PM
Last Post: skyhawk
  Your Story [uDG 2011] maximile 64 48,367 Oct 25, 2011 07:13 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Flying Sweden [uDG 2011] WillMiller 59 50,566 Oct 19, 2011 08:05 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  Same/Sane [uDG 2011] revelation 17 17,474 Oct 18, 2011 12:03 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Leader of Mans [uDG 2011] AndyKorth 48 33,741 Oct 17, 2011 03:11 PM