uDevGames 2011 - Updates

If it's not too difficult to implement, I'd say make it optional. Have a checkbox (default to unchecked) for "All Categories" if they don't check it then it's only for the overall. If they do, then the other categories appear.

I'm for the comments idea either way.
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Update: We're now giving away 10 iTunes gift cards for $10 each to random voters. Pass it along. The website has been tweaked some more.
(Sep 30, 2011 06:27 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  Entry Banners
-----------------------
If you want to make a [tasteful] 1003x200 pixel banner, I'll put that at the top of your entry page. It should contain the name of your game in the image. Here's an example:

Email me (staff@) the image and the name of your team/game and I'll put it place. The sooner, the better.

Thanks Seth for making up the banner for Asteroid Defender. Love

Justin "LordFire" Baldock
⌘-R in Chief
Had to make one in order to tweak the /entries page. Smile
⌘-R in Chief
The results are in! Congratulations to all of you!
http://www.udevgames.com/vote/results

Postmortems
----------------------------

Don't forget that all prize-winning entries (top 3 in each category) MUST SUBMIT A POSTMORTEM in order to receive any prizes. As per the rules, you have until October 16, 2011 at 11:59 PM GMT. I strongly urge you try to meet this time, but you will be allowed some leeway.

Postmortem guidelines are as follows:

Prize-winning entries must supply a postmortem to iDevGames before October 16, 2011 at 11:59 PM GMT. The postmortem should document what went right and what went wrong during the development process of the game, to communicate the lessons learned during development to others so that they can aim to mimic the successful parts of the development process, and avoid the pitfalls encountered during the project.

• Be no less than 1,000 words
• Have a minimum of four screenshots (1024x768 or larger — larger is better) of your game or your development tool in action
• A listing of all relevant software and hardware tools utilized in the development process
• Be submitted in UTF-8 Plain Text, HTML, or RTF, along with separate screen images.

Prizes
----------------------------

To make the prize distribution efficient, each winning team will need to submit an ordered list of the prizes they would like to receive, ranked from most-wanted to least-wanted. Prizes will be distributed in the order according to the rules. Your list may contain every prize available, or just the prizes you're interested in.

During the distribution, when it is "your turn" to pick a prize, you'll be given the first prize on your list which is still available in the prize pool. If none of the prizes on your list are available, you have the choice of skipping the receipt of any prize (which kindly lets the next winners have a larger selection available), or you can be assigned a random prize.

For example, if you're only interested in 5 particular prizes, and are not interested in any others, your list would be:

1) The Best Prize
2) Second Best Prize
3) etc
4) etc
5) Your least favorite prize
Skip Me

If prizes 1 through 5 are not available when it's your turn, you'll be assigned no prizes.

Once the prize pool contains no prizes on anyone's preferred prizes list, all remaining prizes will be randomly distributed.

If you have any questions, just ask away.
Founder
Did you actually send out emails to the 'winners' and let them know what place they won?
cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Well done, everyone!

Some minor suggestions for Seth, take em or leave em..
- Pimp the forthcoming post-mortems and source code on the main page. That's what really what make uDG unique among contests, IMHO.
- Make it clearer on the uDG title page that 2nd and 3rd place finishes were also winners and can be seen in the full results.
- On the results graph, would be nice if the top 3 on each page were highlighted. Or just add a sentence of explanation that the top 3 in each category are prize-winning entries.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Going further, it would be useful to have links to 2nd and 3rd place winning entries in the results as well. Not critical to have that right away, but over time savvy developers will leverage traffic from here. And their webpages in turn will often link back to the contest page. Of all my suggestions I think this is the most important.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Any chance of seeing how many votes were cast for each game?
⌘-R in Chief
Made some minor changes to the website. I'll post some voting info later on.
Founder
How do you feel Seth? When do we get your uDG postmortem? Did you get sick in the end like I always did? lol

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
⌘-R in Chief
It ain't over yet. Smile
Founder
(Oct 14, 2011 07:25 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  It ain't over yet. Smile
Until the goat sings?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
(Oct 15, 2011 04:21 AM)Carlos Camacho Wrote:  
(Oct 14, 2011 07:25 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  It ain't over yet. Smile
Until the goat sings?

http://www.udevgames.com/entries/timegoat ?
How long will this uDev forum be open? As in, should we use these threads for continued development coverage, or make new ones in Work In Progress?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kung Fu Killforce [uDG 2011] JustinFic 34 31,070 Jan 14, 2012 12:49 PM
Last Post: skyhawk
  Your Story [uDG 2011] maximile 64 43,708 Oct 25, 2011 07:13 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Flying Sweden [uDG 2011] WillMiller 59 44,553 Oct 19, 2011 08:05 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  Same/Sane [uDG 2011] revelation 17 15,589 Oct 18, 2011 12:03 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Leader of Mans [uDG 2011] AndyKorth 48 30,208 Oct 17, 2011 03:11 PM