New To Game Designing

We need a permalink to that article somewhere!
Alex
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
(Oct 2, 2011 12:02 AM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  maybe once you're a famous designer, you don't need any other skills...

Until then, you need skills that will help you get a game made in the first place Rasp

Bottom line: if you can't program, you'd better be able to do art. There are other useful skills (music, audio, writing, ...) but at this level, the people who can do the "big two" skills are in charge.

I agree. Most designers nowadays are equipped with minimal scripting knowledge to help them prototype their game ideas. Although paper prototyping helps, the user experience of the game may not translate well to the digital mode.

Alternatively, you can start trying out level design and so some balancing on your own before you take on game design, as that involves the whole world.
The big two things are designing and programming?
The two biggest things are artistry and programming. Designing is important but you'll never get anywhere with it.
(Nov 3, 2011 01:13 PM)Oddity007 Wrote:  The two biggest things are artistry and programming. Designing is important but you'll never get anywhere with it.

Don't be cruel. Though you could argue level designers are artists, designers are prolific throughout the industry, and are needed.
⌘-R in Chief
I think he meant designing (ideas) alone.
Apprentice
(Nov 3, 2011 01:34 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  I think he meant designing (ideas) alone.

how about try to design a board game or a card game first? then you will get a feel of designing a game without needing to touch on programming.
(Nov 3, 2011 01:34 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  I think he meant designing (ideas) alone.

Yes, that's what I meant. It's important everywhere, but you can't get anywhere with it alone. Design is something that needs to be mixed in with everything to various degrees, but isn't something that can standalone very well. Programming (what ever level, really...) and artistry (level design, modellers, concept artists, etc..) at least allow a person to get somewhere with the ideas and give a sense to other potential members of where the idea is to go. It's pretty common, I've seen, for multiple interpretations of one idea, so to have some demonstration of the concept in one of those ways helps. Others probably have better answers, though.
I get it...
So you guys are saying that designing is important but you can't get anywhere with it alone.
What programs are good for practising in artistry?
⌘-R in Chief
Depends what kind of art.

For level design, you can just start modding other games using the editors that ship with them. There are a lot games that use the Unreal Engine which you can use the SDK for to create new levels, rules, etc.

For 3d modeling, Blender is popular and free. Lots of resources for that, such as the Newb to Pro guide.

For 2D art you can start with concept art drawings on paper. Obviously there are a ton of 2d art programs.

You're young. Start now and learn a little of each skill at a time and by the time you're ready for a real job, you could be hired on the spot.
Drawing is actually a hobby of mine. I'll practise for now to gain skills.
What is the best (free) program for 2D art?
I don't think I'd get far with paint...
Luminary
GIMP (bitmaps) and Inkscape (vectors) are both free, multiplatform, and decent.
Cool, I'll remember those.
I might get a computer for my next birthday (November 15th) because I told my father I would use it mainly for programming.

Could someone please tell me what Unity is and explain what it's used for?
(Nov 5, 2011 01:49 PM)Boaz Wrote:  Could someone please tell me what Unity is and explain what it's used for?

You could take a look at Unity's site or Wikipedia page Wink

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Yes! Unity uses C#! That's the language my father's teaching me. Smile