Accessing iOS Folders

Apprentice
Is it possible for an iOS app to access Folders on a device? By folders I don't mean the file system, I'm referring to the feature added in iOS 4 that allows users to group apps together.

The type of operations I would be interested in performing on a Folder would be changing permission settings so only those with a password could access them.
Quote this message in a reply
Nop. Apps can't touch anything outside their own sandbox.
Apprentice
Quote:Nop. Apps can't touch anything outside their own sandbox.

Thats what I was afraid of. The reason I ask is because I have a friend who wanted me to make an App that would disallow his 3-year-old access to violent iOS games.

He and I both know iOS already has a rudimentary parental control system, however, the system only allows you to block specific Apple apps. He basically wanted me to make something similar but for 3rd-party apps. Essentially, he wanted to bunch all his violent games and put them in a folder which he could then password protect.

Is there something anyone can recommend that he and I may have missed that would allow this functionality or something similar?
The article you linked to appears to be quite out of date: iOS' parental controls now allow disallowing launching (and likely installing, but I haven't tested that) apps which are rated for above a specified age – just scroll down on the "Restrictions" screen (screenshot); I've just tested the parental controls on iOS 4.3.5, and apps with an age rating above the specified age don't even appear as being installed.

Mark Bishop
Apprentice
Quote:The article you linked to appears to be quite out of date: iOS' parental controls now allow disallowing launching (and likely installing, but I haven't tested that) apps which are rated for above a specified age

Good to know! I hope this will be enough for him. Though, it is a shame that you can't specify individual apps to lockout.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Accessing a method from anywhere in the project... Help! SamBaylus 5 4,337 Feb 4, 2010 09:24 AM
Last Post: kendric
  Accessing the GCC compiler flags Madrayken 6 5,659 Sep 19, 2009 01:18 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  About adding folders to resources folder. riruilo 1 2,710 Apr 20, 2009 03:22 AM
Last Post: saltwater