Steve Jobs biography

Has anybody picked up a copy yet?

I just downloaded the audiobook from Audible, but I'm wondering what kind of pictures I might be missing by only having the audio.

Will be listening to it tomorrow on a long drive.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Quote this message in a reply
Pre-ordered it from Amazon. Doesn't deliver until Thursday though (argh)!
Alex
(Oct 24, 2011 11:50 AM)EvolPenguin Wrote:  Pre-ordered it from Amazon. Doesn't deliver until Thursday though (argh)!
Alex

Rolleyes
Amazon Wrote:Shipping Soon
Shipping Estimate: October 24, 2011

Delivery Estimate: November 18, 2011 - December 12, 2011

Steve Jobs
Walter Isaacson
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
Cry

No spoilers please... Rasp
Haha, ouch, thought I had it bad. I'm assuming that's just a glitch though Rasp.
Alex
So far a good book. It's a little more repetitive than I thought... the author is truly trying to hammer home the trends he saw as being important in Jobs's life, and making sure they're not lost to people who are not very techno-savvy.

The author also seems to downplay the importance of Zen Buddhism in his life and work. I've been reading more about Buddhism lately, and many of its core foundations are absolutely integral to the thoughts behind how and what he created.

@karlbecker_com
Just finished it. It started out ok, but I was already familiar with many of the most interesting anecdotes from the early years (folklore.org). And the uninspired writing seemed to basically destroy any "magic" in those anecdotes - I'm thinking about buying Andy Hertzfeld's "Revolution in The Valley".

I found the many, many technical inaccuracies distracting and kinda worrying, since I can spot them out but... what about the rest of the things he talks about? The things that are not technical and that I didn't already know from previous sources - are they also filled with inaccuracies? Sad

I agree about the book being too repetitive, but it's repetitive in the sense that it seems rushed, with the repetitions being almost textual, due to sloppy editing as opposed to actually having a point. The last chapters in particular are painful: it's like the author made a checklist of things he wanted to mention in the book, forgot he had already mentioned each one a dozen times already, and mentioned all of them again just in case, with no story flow whatsoever. Annoyed
My summation for anybody who has learned about Jobs and Apple's early history in the past: skip the first 2/3 of the book and just read from Jobs's return to Apple and beyond.

@karlbecker_com
I can agree with that. I love reading, but admittedly I am struggling to get through it, which is disappointing me. I also have had a lot of class and finals though, so maybe in the break I can get through a bit more. As others have said, I have yet to learn anything really new in this book, I can't help but feel that either Steve's life was already too well known, or the author didn't take advantage enough of the direct access he had to him.
Alex