Codify - iPad Prototyping

Has anyone else checked this out? I ended up downloading it (it's $8) and I have to say it's pretty cool. Will you be making full products on it? No. But it seems like a pretty useful tool for prototyping on the go, if you have an idea and want to get it down before the inspiration leaves Wink. I don't know if I'll take full advantage of it, but I wanted to support what they're trying to do.
I think the best thing is probably it's the first step towards useful IDEs on iOS.
http://twolivesleft.com/Codify/
Alex
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
The APIs they provide are understandably simple. I think it's the editor that I thought was particularly well done. That said, I'm not really interested in it I guess. It's definitely something I'd recommend to a kid that wanted to learn programming though.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Sage
I'd also protest that a "useful" IDE on iOS would require a window manager, the ability to run more than one program at once, a mouse, a keyboard, and a filesystem. Take away any of those and it turns into a novelty that you can make cute games in.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
I did say first steps, obviously it's not complete. I guess I'm more impressed with the editor overall. But imagine something that could link to your github repository or something that had syntax highlighting and a nice editor which you could write code on that could sync back to your repo and have your build machine pull that down, build it and send you an email with the status. Perfect system, no, but I like the idea that more work could be done on an iPad in our profession. On another point: I also don't think a mouse is required for development purposes at all.
At first glance I got excited, but not so sure now that I think about it. Looks like you'll still need a keyboard for anything nontrivial, in which case you'll also need a way to make your iPad stand up while you are typing. At that point, may as well use the Mac that's already sitting there. If they released this for Mac I would be on it faster than a Kardashian divorce.

My kids have both asked about programming in the past and I've been looking for a fun environment like this for them to play around in. Lots of people recommend Scratch, but it has attracted middle-school audience that my older kid is allergic too. I also tried Alice, but the Mac version was dreadfully unstable a few years ago, and it has an air of abandonment to it now.

I may buy Codify (new name: Codea) just to support the effort. But I'd love to discuss Mac alternatives, maybe in a different thread.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.