Anyone experienced Performance ± with UILabels vs. Bitmap Font in OpenGL ES 1.1?

Hi

I maybe the world's slowest coder - it's my age you know - but I was wondering before I spend weeks at this...

...Is there any performance loss or benefit (apart from ease of use) to using UILabel's in an OpenGL game, as opposed to either static textures or a Bitmapped font?

Any experience or thoughts very welcome.

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
Yes, there is most often a significant performance disadvantage to using anything Cocoa over your OpenGL view. Stick to static textures and bitmap fonts for best performance. Standard advice is to check out the Texture2D class.
Ah... you mean the one from 'Crash Lander' by Apple? Just found that two days ago.

Also stumbled over this site, and in Tutorial 2 they guy (Mike) extends it to do some really niffty things...

http://www.71squared.co.uk/2009/03/iphon...age-class/

Just that Crash Lander was using labels... so that made me wonder...

Thanks again 'Jake
Elphaba Wrote:Ah... you mean the one from 'Crash Lander' by Apple? Just found that two days ago.
Yes, that's the one.

Elphaba Wrote:Also stumbled over this site, and in Tutorial 2 they guy (Mike) extends it to do some really niffty things...

http://www.71squared.co.uk/2009/03/iphon...age-class/
I haven't looked at any of his tutorials in any detail, but I'm sure he's got some useful stuff going on there, so it's probably worth your time to study up on that tutorial.

Elphaba Wrote:Just that Crash Lander was using labels... so that made me wonder...
They call them labels but they're not UILabels, they're Texture2D instances actually. ... unless we're not looking at the same CrashLanding sample Sneaky

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bitmap fonts markhula 6 8,463 Feb 27, 2011 12:55 PM
Last Post: markhula
  opengl text/font drawing from CGContext fretmunky 11 13,203 Dec 7, 2008 11:29 AM
Last Post: fretmunky
  Bitmap font toolkit Najdorf 9 7,148 Nov 11, 2008 05:43 PM
Last Post: Najdorf
  OpenGL(R) Programming on Mac OS(R) X: Architecture, Performance, and Integration m3the01 9 4,909 Feb 17, 2008 04:34 PM
Last Post: mlee442
  OpenGL vs Quartz Performance for 2D Game lfalin 1 3,791 Apr 25, 2007 09:51 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie