Help with getting started

Nibbie
Hey guys, I want to start developing my own game, I've read the site's article but I still can't decide which language to use: C or Java. I'm going to use Xcode and I'd like to know which should I use (I have absolutely no experience with programming and cross-platform would be great), if you could give me some tips I'd be greatly appreciated. Grin

Thx in advance!
Quote this message in a reply
Perl...

But seriously, with 0 programming experience, you have a long way to go with fundamentals before you start adventuring into "cross-platformness".

I honestly would start with text-based first, and learn logic control / game flow.
Nibbie
Yeah, it is what I was gonna do, text-based. I'll try Perl but is it easy to learn and supported by Xcode?
rofl. don't do perl (unless your focus is on text based processing scripts).

Java is as easy of a language as you're gonna learn, but it's very verbose.
Objective-C is the language of choice for OS X and iOS.

Honestly, I feel this has all been covered before.
Check out: http://www.idevgames.com/forums/thread-4383.html and http://www.idevgames.com/articles/for-beginners
Nibbie
Ok, thx a lot! Grin I just needed help on which one is better, think I'll go with Java then. Once again, thank you very much!
If you have no programming experience it might be better to learn a basic language like C++.
Just make sure to practise good on one language.
It's better to master one language than to know a bit of them all.
Luminary
C++ is not a "basic language". C++ is probably the most complicated language there is. It certainly doesn't make for a good starting point.
Apprentice
Another vote for Java! Learning C++ memory management as a beginner with 0 experience would be a bit overwhelming. Perhaps when Filsk15 becomes more advanced...

@Filsk15: When you want to start learning how to use a game engine, I suggest checking out Slick. http://slick.cokeandcode.com/

Or you could come back to the Apple world. There's plenty of game engines for the Mac/iOS.
Nibbie
Guys, thx a lot for the help! But I think I'm going to use Objective-C since my focus is Mac and iOS. I've already found a nice video tutorial (65 vids) and think I'm gonna stick with it. Thx so much for the help. I'll make sure to post any news about the development in here, loved the forums.
Apprentice
I've always believed in diving straight into game dev experience (instead of learning a language first)

Summoned up some courage, and started reading Ray Wenderlich's iOS tutorials. A week later, i'm making primitive iOS games, and they're only getting better each day!

Note: it will be excruciating at first, because you don't know the language, and don't know game dev, but stick to it a little and keep asking questions and find the people who can answer them. Might take a bit to absorb, but you learn so much!

About me
I experiment with game analytics. Read about it here

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Getting Started makinggames 9 6,242 Jun 17, 2009 05:15 PM
Last Post: wyrmmage
  Help Getting Started onedeveloper 8 5,082 Oct 1, 2008 05:49 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  PTK w/ XCode getting started RotaJota 0 2,068 Jun 29, 2006 08:03 AM
Last Post: RotaJota
  Getting Started hams 14 6,121 Jun 12, 2003 11:09 AM