Game Mechanic Question - Data storage method?

Apprentice
I've never programmed anything big that required any form of storage until now. I'm working on a fairly large RPG that I need to maintain a lot of elements such as class properties, instances etc.

My question to you is:

How would you recommend storing information? Should I go with a database? Is there a better way? I was planning on using a database to store all the game properties.

More info on the game if it helps: It's a pretty large RPG that each class has multiple properties and I want to have the game track things such as properties of rooms, items left in places, amount of money vendors have day to day etc etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
What's your architecture? Is this a single player game? multiplayer online? How much data are you talking about?
Apprentice
Single player game. Building the game in Obj C for iOS 5 in Xcode.

Amount of data - A couple thousand variables and various data.
Luminary
Then I wouldn't worry at all about it. Store it however you think is easiest. NSDictionary and plists, potentially.
Nibbie
Definitely no database for that level of game. Just store it in xml or csv files if you need static data storage and retrieval

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Game Data In A OOP World KiroNeem 5 4,337 Feb 15, 2006 03:46 PM
Last Post: zKing
  2D map storage structures SOUR-Monkey 11 6,714 Jun 18, 2005 10:36 AM
Last Post: codemattic
  MGP Book Question: GameLevel - Method p. 122 jontolof 6 4,856 Oct 10, 2002 08:18 PM
Last Post: szymczyk