Online multiplayer iOS game

Nibbie
Hi,

I'm planning to develop an online multiplayer game for iOS (iPhone and iPad)

My rough framework/architecture of the multiplayer online game is follow

A user is able to create/start/host a game, then others can join the game/server by entering the ip address of the host. That mean I able to create a game and then let my friends know about my ip address so they can join my game by entering my ip address.

I'm not sure will I have problem with the appstore as they might not like the idea of of hosting the game and others can join the game by entering an ip address. Anyknow know will this type of game get rejected? Or any other suggestions to create an online multiplayer game?

Thanks,

Stephen
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
If you're doing it for iOS, you should consider GameKit's networking and matchmaking services... but if you want to do it by hand and have people enter an IP address, they won't reject you for it.
Entering ip addresses is not particularly user-friendly. Any reason not to use Game Center?
http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#...rview.html

edit: er... osc beat me to it Rasp
Nibbie
i would like to code my engine in C++ so I can use it in Android/Windows(desktop)/Mac/Linux later on. It just personal project so prefer not to use any games/network library.

Let's say if I create a server/game from my iOS device then others (Android/Windows(desktop)/Linux/Mac) can join the game by entering the ip address if the others are not in the local network else they will see the server. If it only use game center matchmaking then others might not able to join but I will have another mode for this in the game for iOS device.
1) Code the game in the easiest manner first. Worry about cross-platform later when that's a viable option.
2) Are you going to write low level string functions too? writing your own sound engine as well? or what about other stupidly difficult things that lots of people have laboriously put together simple libraries for you to spend a minimal amount of time technical coding , and instead focus on the meat of your game? K.I.S.S.
(Dec 16, 2011 03:42 PM)skyhawk Wrote:  2) Are you going to write low level string functions too? writing your own sound engine as well? or what about other stupidly difficult things that lots of people have laboriously put together simple libraries for you to spend a minimal amount of time technical coding , and instead focus on the meat of your game? K.I.S.S.

Sometimes, writing your own small implementation for something rather than finding, building, and figuring out how to use someone else's fancy library is the essence of keeping it simple.

Sometimes it isn't.
Nibbie
(Dec 16, 2011 03:42 PM)skyhawk Wrote:  1) Code the game in the easiest manner first. Worry about cross-platform later when that's a viable option.
2) Are you going to write low level string functions too? writing your own sound engine as well? or what about other stupidly difficult things that lots of people have laboriously put together simple libraries for you to spend a minimal amount of time technical coding , and instead focus on the meat of your game? K.I.S.S.

Hi,

I will be using boost library mainly, boost.asio for the network library, string will be stl string. network message is google protocol buffers. so not really reinvent the wheel here. I rather plan ahead than redo it later when I need the crossplatform option. No plan for the sounding of the game as it mainly a playing card game.

My idea is to make the backend as portable as possible (crossplatform) then I only need to do the front-end (UI) for each platform. So I think that is keep it simple and stupid, may be the way I mentioned my question sound like I'm going to do everything from scratch (low level side) but not really .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Online Multiplayer Strategy Game Seeking Testers fstltna 0 942 Dec 23, 2013 01:19 AM
Last Post: fstltna
  A tutorial to create realtime multiplayer game in iOS, like it? akkishore 0 5,458 Sep 18, 2012 03:40 AM
Last Post: akkishore
  Final Fantasy tactics Clone Online Multiplayer Rhade 13 19,532 Apr 9, 2010 12:17 PM
Last Post: Rhade
  Online Game - I'm looking for beta testers slyvek 0 2,242 Feb 2, 2009 04:03 PM
Last Post: slyvek