Feedback on Gameplay Video Requested

Here is the first attempt at a gameplay video. If anyone has any feedback on things they don't like or what have you I would be very happy to hear them.

http://greyhoundgames.com/Subhunt.mp4
Quote this message in a reply
I'd say it's pretty good. The recording quality is very good, which is often hard on an iPhone demo. The game looks great and it looks like you showcased the variety of weapons well. Music is very good too. It is a bit long and the ending seems abrupt. I wouldn't worry about showing every feature to them, and consider cutting out some of that gameplay footage. You want people to think that they aren't seeing it all, and the more you show, the more someone might think, "okay, I've seen the whole game now". The ending is a bit abrupt too.

Overall, very nice video!

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Thanks. Maybe I can fade it to the app store logo (the 512x512) one. I will look into cutting out a bit more. It was almost 4 minutes when I started heh.
I think it's fine. Gives a great feel for how the game will play. Great work.

Edit: Though I think maybe I saw an updated version. The one I watched fades to the logo as mentioned could be done.
Yeah I updated it about 30 minutes ago. Thats the new one. I actually didnt go with my appstore icon. I used the text one.
Oh yeah, looks very nice.

You are not using any 3rd party engines , just your own code for everything , correct ?
Yes warmi. I just watched your video. Beautiful graphics. I am so jealous of your ability to use simulator for your movie. My game requires 2 hands ;(

Quick survey. If somebody said sub hunt to you would you spell it Sub Hunt or SubHunt?

P.S If my game is in review, has anyone tried changing the name at that point?
Wonderful video, nice graphics and gameplay.

Is that its real music? If so, that is impressive.
Yes. Though the video's music is uncompressed. I had to compress the game music down to get it all to fit under the 10 meg limit.
kendric Wrote:Yes. Though the video's music is uncompressed. I had to compress the game music down to get it all to fit under the 10 meg limit.

I am curious why aren't you just using mp3s ? It shouldn't have that much of an impact on framerate ..
I am... I had like 11 music tracks at the begining. Even compressed way down thats still a lot of space. I had to cut some. I have 2 "modes" of play and I wanted 4 tracks per so thats 8, then i had 2 victory and 2 defeat. Then title music.

So i cut it to 3,3,2,1 and title
Nibbie
Have you thought or recording inputs and then playing them back in a kind of demo mode? That way, you could create a "finger-less" video. Or do you feel it is important to show the game being operated?

If you could align the screen with the camera to get a direct on shot (so the two were parallel), you could bring the text in over the screen on a seperate layer in your video editing programme. This would give you the benefit of displaying the messages you want to be seen, but allowing the action to carry on in the background. The end result being the same info being shown, but in less time.

You could even dim down the gameplay layer during the period where the text is still on screen, to emphasise the text.
Thats a pretty good idea. I will prob do that for the next major release.
Another option for recording from the simulator is modifying the accelermeter-simulator code to handle touch events. I had a go at this over the weekend because I'm not happy with the video quality I recorded for my Slope Rider update and I need touch events and accelerometer input to control the game properly.

The result is some not very pretty code but it works well enough and now I'll be able to record the simulator with both accelerometer and touch controls coming from my actual device.
Getting a bit off topic, what do you guys use to record the screen (simulator)? I've tried a couple different programs. Snapz Pro is nice, but pricey.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  how do you record gameplay videos on the device? aerospaceman 4 5,388 May 24, 2011 07:35 AM
Last Post: aerospaceman
  Moving Balls Game User Interface : Help Requested syednab 6 4,723 Oct 1, 2008 06:56 PM
Last Post: syednab