WIP screenshots

Founder
We once had a work in progress image of the week on the front page. I would like to bring that back. However, I am wondering how much participation we would get. How many of you are actively working on a game or engine or dev tool?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
I bet a lot... especially if iPhone screenshots are legit Wink

If you can make it so lots of people can submit easily - simply uploading an image maybe one click deep off the home screen, I think the number of shots submitted would be fairly high. If there was an email address, that would encourage iPhone devs to email stuff, too.

I know Chopper 2 is looking good...

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Could maybe have a gallery of many screenshots, and then select one for WIP POW every week. I'm sure there'd be plenty of submissions, especially like funkboy suggests, if iPhone screenshots are allowed.
Between Scott and I, (when we aren't doing contract work), we should have a pretty steady stream of things to show. We'll have an iPhone thing or two, etc.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Agreed, seems like a good idea.
Alex
P.S. Can't resist funkboy, "The way we see it, we're twice as good as chopper 2, Chopper 4!!!!" Sklar Brothers anyone?
Perhaps two images - one for mac games, and one for iPhone games?

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
EvolPenguin Wrote:Agreed, seems like a good idea.
Alex
P.S. Can't resist funkboy, "The way we see it, we're twice as good as chopper 2, Chopper 4!!!!" Sklar Brothers anyone?

Okay, hadn't heard that one before, but I think this must be forwarded onto the Chopper dev, @majicdave on Twitter!
Just to clarify: I am in NO way associated with Chopper 2 dev, other than being impressed with its screenshots so far Smile

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Founder
Quote:Could maybe have a gallery of many screenshots
Yes, that was my hope.

I keep getting bombarded with PR emails of iPhone games. For the most part, we don't post news on games (already had that discussion several times), so I think this would be a good avenue. (Of course postmortems and project spotlights are VERY welcomed as always.)

I'm wondering if the system should post into Flickr/Picassa or use server for storage. I'll need to look into it.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I like the way GameDev.net handles it. A big gallery filled with individual pages. Each page can have multiple images, as well as comments. And then the mods/admins of the site pick one image out of the recent posts to put up on the main page.

Of course, something simple like a Flickr group would probably work fine.
funkboy Wrote:Okay, hadn't heard that one before, but I think this must be forwarded onto the Chopper dev, @majicdave on Twitter!
Just to clarify: I am in NO way associated with Chopper 2 dev, other than being impressed with its screenshots so far Smile

Ooh, right, wrong person. But yeah, it only makes sense if you've heard the Chopper 4 skit by the Sklar Brothers (some comedians). Ah well.

I'm also up for a big gallery group, with possibly a "featured" screenshot.
Alex
I really like the WIP screenshots idea, but I'd also like to suggest extending it to videos if possible. Some of the work being shown in this thread is really great but truly comes to life when moving.
Well, I'm working on the Ox (Oh-Eks or ooks) toolkit.
Some cool images will come from that, expecially when you see the intended hardware.
I'm also working on my game, and map editor, and model editor, and FX libraries.

Right now I have bloom and cartoon rendering working on a GF 4 MX and ATY unnamed, quite fast.

It would be cool to show the results Grin
I think it's a good idea, and would love to contribute often. I also really like monte's idea with regards to showcasing videos.
Sage
I'm working on an "engine", mainly for fun. I'd be happy to controbute some screenshots.

(in fact, I just got something cool working -- shadow receiving particle systems -- and wanted to show it off)
Founder
Thanks for feedback. Until I have a submission system working, feel free to send me your images along with description (and link) to

idevgames&gmail.com

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames