Making 2D Stencil Shadows Soft

I'm considering blurring the alphas of the shadows somehow, but I've had little luck finding a decent blur shader. This will at least make those edges a little softer, I think.

I'm also going to investigate using a 1D texture some more. I'm pretty determined to get these shadows soft, but I'm nearing the point that I may just let it slide if I can't manage it soon.

Thanks for the input, monteboyd. It's comments like those that make me (and Nelson as well, I imagine) code just a little faster Wink. On the other hand, half the reason I'm doing all these effects is to make my modest attempt at pixel art look nice. Nelson's graphics are looking pretty awesome however, I can't wait to see his isometric game in action.
Quote this message in a reply
Thanks guys, for the positive feedback on my work as well. I agree with monte that it's amazing to see what great people are still doing on 2d stuff, in fact it's kind of reinvigorating, in terms of my own work, to see all of your guys' stuff. I'm not sure why but I've always found well done 2d games to be quite endearing.

metacollin Wrote:Awesome vid, Nelson! Those lighting and shadow effects look amazing, regardless of the blockiness of the edges. Is it going to be some sort of dungeon crawler? Any ETA? =)

I'm still working on scaling back the blockiness, shouldn't be a problem on higher end systems at least. It is in fact a dungeon crawler yes, ETA is unknown at this point, though I'd guess somewhere around 6 months.

Skorche, your video looks just great, especially with the physics system you got going on. And 55 fps on an old iphone is simply amazing- can't wait to play the finished product.

metacollin Wrote:On the other hand, half the reason I'm doing all these effects is to make my modest attempt at pixel art look nice. Nelson's graphics are looking pretty awesome however, I can't wait to see his isometric game in action.

I feel the same way in terms of using the technology to make pixel art look "nice". I think like you I'm doing all of my own art and there's just something inherently cool about exercising so much control over what you see on the screen.
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SLOW performance drawing multiple polygons per frame with stencil buffer clam61 7 4,068 Apr 27, 2013 11:53 AM
Last Post: clam61
  Masking without a stencil buffer? Bachus 12 13,619 Sep 2, 2010 02:42 PM
Last Post: Skorche
  Window drop shadows NelsonMandella 9 5,528 Mar 21, 2010 02:34 PM
Last Post: NelsonMandella
  softening 2d shadows NelsonMandella 5 4,585 May 19, 2009 04:19 AM
Last Post: Najdorf
  Real-Time Soft Shadows MarkJ 6 5,141 Feb 17, 2007 03:10 PM
Last Post: MarkJ