Nova Golf Beta

Looks like I'll have to remove support for the GMA950 (no vertex shaders). Anyone able to test on the X3100 or HD 3000 integrated video cards? Much harder to keep an arsenal of test macs than it is iOS devices!
Also, there isn't a way to restrict what macs download this on the Mac App Store is there? How do other developers handle users buying/downloading the game just to not be able to play it?
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
GMA 950 has vertex shaders. Well, it doesn't do *any* hardware vertex processing, but it does software vertex shaders just fine...
And yes, you can specify hardware requirements for the MAS. Here's a page about OpenGL spec reqs but there are more general ones too: http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#...index.html
⌘-R in Chief
Back to my earlier comment on FSAA… That first run through was with all of the graphics options at their default lowest setting. Once I turned everything to max, it looked better. If FSAA etc can't be on by default for every machine, what about finding the few machines that can't hack it, and turn it on by default for everything else? It looked noticeably nicer with the settings higher. Usually the first thing I do with a game is turn the settings to max but I guess with this being a more "casual" game, I didn't think there would be settings to turn up. I'm probably not going to be the only one.

Thought for thought.
OSC : That's what I meant, no hardware support. The terrain engine shoots out a hefty number of vertices, I guess it may be worth seeing how fast the CPU can handle if I find access to a computer that has a 950 do debug on.

Seth : What are your system specs? On iOS I've released my Pinball games with the settings too high and I've found that 60fps is much more important than extra graphics quality.
⌘-R in Chief
2008 quad Mac Pro with an NV 8800 GT. Not a beast. iMacs from the past few years have faster CPUs and I imagine have beefier graphics as well. I don't have an FPS meter besides quartz debug, but I get 60 FPS windowed and looks like 50-60 when full size window (but not fullscreen, so I'm not getting the full benefit).

The FPS dips 10fps every time I hit the ball. I'm not sure if that's the player's animation that's causing the drop, but it happens consistently.

Also, I finally heard different music for the first time in 50 plays. This entire time I've only heard one song.
Could be the grass/sand splash effects, I toned down the number of particles. Not sure though I've never experienced it.

Yeah we now have the menu music and three in game tracks (just uploaded the latest version an hour ago with all of them). Thats basically it on the assets we're waiting for, just more testing/polishing this week.
Turns out my early 2011 MBP has the HD 3000, works just fine
Has the beta been updated since your last post? Interested to keep seeing the improvements, especially in the UI.

And you're going to add ease in/out to the camera movements... riiiight? Smile

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Last update was the 23rd around noon, I'm putting our current progress up again now. Oh yeah I forgot about the camera movements, we'll discuss that today as we're wrapping stuff up
I'd be interested to know how you're working with your team - everybody remote?

Maybe something nice to include in a postmortem on the game.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
⌘-R in Chief
Yeah, you are writing a postmortem, right? Wink
Yeah, the two artists are doing this part-time living in Lancaster PA, and I'm over more towards Pittsburgh. Frequent emails/calls/skypes and a visit every 3-6 months lately, though we'd like to increase that frequency.

Yeah I could write a postmortem after I get the iOS version submitted and then do the disc golf version here in the next month!
⌘-R in Chief
I saw on Facebook you submitted it to Apple (I hope it goes through. Wink ), so I downloaded the latest update. I know the realities of time constraints well, but it is a bummer to see some of the changes only go half way. They are improvements, however. I really think if you held off longer before submitting in order to really spend more time on layout, it would have gone a long way.

The biggest issue I have is that the aspect of the window is still weird and so are the buttons in few in places.

[Image: upshot_ZXSA8rZA.jpg]
[Image: upshot_O7keDJPS.jpg]
[Image: upshot_8kpemZ2A.jpg]

I'd prefer not to have to guess to make things square.
Luminary
Why didn't you program the other half of the game before releasing it?
We l come

trust me, get some a font engine with proper kerning support. you'll love it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Disc Golf 3D Beta Jake 5 2,775 Dec 18, 2012 07:36 PM
Last Post: Jake